Kubota 1996 M5400 2WD Front Tire Recommendation

/ Kubota 1996 M5400 2WD Front Tire Recommendation #21  
F-2 is the tread style without regard to ply rating for a 2wd tractor steer tire. Specifically F-2M for a 4 rib tire. F-2 would actually be a 3 rib style. Probably a lot of tire folks would scratch their heads if you asked for an F-2M tire. Just ask for a 7.50-16 4 rib tractor front tire with an 8 ply rating. You already know I recommend Firestone but they will probably be the most expensive choice out there.

/ Kubota 1996 M5400 2WD Front Tire Recommendation
Perfect Rick, you’ve answered my questions to the tee.

I’m going w Firestone if they’re the same grade quality as I received from the initial new tractor sale in 96. Makes no sense buying a cheaper one and going back in 10 yrs….

Last edited:
   / Kubota 1996 M5400 2WD Front Tire Recommendation #23  
Well,

Here’s a pic of the front tire and it’s a 7.5-16 Firestone but I was surprised it was a 6 ply and not at least an 8-10 ply. Therefore, if I went w an 8-ply bc of the front end loader, I should be good, yes?

Thanks for your feedback

I am not particularly surprised, that is the same size and ply rating tire specified for my 5075E, which is if anything a little heavier of a tractor than your M5400. Kubota's manuals aren't free so I can't tell you for sure, but Deere does give a little different ballasting options for tractors with 6 or 8 ply tires- they recommend more rear ballast with 6 ply than 8 ply tires. I have not seen 10 ply 7.50-16 front tractor tires specifically (F-1, F-2, F-2M), ones in that size that are 10+ ply are implement (I-1, etc.) tires. There is no problem with putting a heavier ply tire than originally called for, but I would be careful about inflating it to full pressure until you check to see what inflation pressure the rim is specified for. You would be perfectly safe to inflate an 8 ply tire to the 44 psi a 6 ply tire runs at, though. You just won't be able to carry more of a load than you would with a 6 ply tire in that case.

Regarding tread pattern on front tires, common ones are 3 rib F-2, 4 rib F-2M, and industrial tires such as I-3 with multiple shallow ribs/grooves. There are others such as single rib F-1 used in very mucky conditions that are uncommon. The fewer and deeper the ribs, and the narrower the tire, the better the tractor will be able to turn in slick conditions rather than plowing ahead (understeer.) The more and shallower the ribs, and the wider the tire, the less the tires will tear up the ground when turning and the shallower the ruts they will leave in soft ground. Pick the tread design and tire width based on the intended usage.

Thank you Mo, this is really good information, appreciate it.

My terrain is mostly flat to gentle inclines, except when shredding near lake dams. Mostly Bahia grass w Sandy loam. I do have a frt end loader w an oversized loader that was on when I bought it. We receive 48-52 inches of rain a year and have periodical freezes during winter, but rarely more than 6-10 hrs in duration. I keep my tractor in a nice, fully enclosed shed but not temp regulated. We have more summer than winter and temps can get into low 100’s for 8-10 days at a time. I periodically fill up front end loader w wet sand or gravel, but not too often

Hope this provides a user profile that’s beneficial to spec ply & psi’s…thanks again for the details ✔️

/ Kubota 1996 M5400 2WD Front Tire Recommendation #25  
Thank you Mo, this is really good information, appreciate it.

My terrain is mostly flat to gentle inclines, except when shredding near lake dams. Mostly Bahia grass w Sandy loam. I do have a frt end loader w an oversized loader that was on when I bought it. We receive 48-52 inches of rain a year and have periodical freezes during winter, but rarely more than 6-10 hrs in duration. I keep my tractor in a nice, fully enclosed shed but not temp regulated. We have more summer than winter and temps can get into low 100’s for 8-10 days at a time. I periodically fill up front end loader w wet sand or gravel, but not too often

Hope this provides a user profile that’s beneficial to spec ply & psi’s…thanks again for the details ✔️

I would probably stick with a similar type to what you have if you are happy with their performance.

Mo quotes:

“There is no problem with putting a heavier ply tire than originally called for, but I would be careful about inflating it to full pressure until you check to see what inflation pressure the rim is specified for. You would be perfectly safe to inflate an 8 ply tire to the 44 psi a 6 ply tire runs at, though. You just won't be able to carry more of a load than you would with a 6 ply tire in that case.”

Can you pls explain why w a higher ply from 6 to 8, I could not carry as heavy load in frt-end loader? Thank you.

/ Kubota 1996 M5400 2WD Front Tire Recommendation #27  
Sure. The amount of air in a tire is what allows the tire to support a load. For a given size of tire, there will be more air inside of the tire at a higher pressure than a lower pressure. A higher ply rating of a tire will allow the tire to withstand a higher air pressure than if it had a lower ply rating. So, if you replace a tire with the same size of tire but with a higher ply rating, but inflate it to the same pressure you would have inflated the old one, there is the same amount of air inside of the tire and thus the new tire cannot carry any more weight than you would have been able to carry with the old tire. You don't gain any weight carrying capacity with the new heavier tire unless you put more air into the new tire (increase the pressure.) You will never decrease the load carrying ability by putting on a heavier ply tire, though.

How much weight you can carry in the loader depends on not only the tire load capacity but the loader's weight rating and the weight rating of your front axle. I don't have those numbers available so you would need to find the specifics in your manuals. Your limit will be whichever of these numbers is the lowest.

For example, if your loader is rated at 2500 pounds, your 6 ply tires at 1450 pounds each, and your front axle at 3000 pounds, you will be limited to 2500 pounds as that is your loader's weight limit. Increasing the tires' weight capacity to 1760 lb each for an 8 ply tire won't help one bit in that case as the old tires supported 2900 pounds between the two of them and that was higher than the 2500 pounds the loader itself could lift. However, if your loader was rated at 3500 pounds instead of 2500 pounds, then putting on 8 ply tires would increase the weight limit to 3000 pounds, as you are now limited by the capacity of the front axle rather than the 2900 pounds the 6 ply tires would have supported. Does that make sense?

Sure. The amount of air in a tire is what allows the tire to support a load. For a given size of tire, there will be more air inside of the tire at a higher pressure than a lower pressure. A higher ply rating of a tire will allow the tire to withstand a higher air pressure than if it had a lower ply rating. So, if you replace a tire with the same size of tire but with a higher ply rating, but inflate it to the same pressure you would have inflated the old one, there is the same amount of air inside of the tire and thus the new tire cannot carry any more weight than you would have been able to carry with the old tire. You don't gain any weight carrying capacity with the new heavier tire unless you put more air into the new tire (increase the pressure.) You will never decrease the load carrying ability by putting on a heavier ply tire, though.

How much weight you can carry in the loader depends on not only the tire load capacity but the loader's weight rating and the weight rating of your front axle. I don't have those numbers available so you would need to find the specifics in your manuals. Your limit will be whichever of these numbers is the lowest.

For example, if your loader is rated at 2500 pounds, your 6 ply tires at 1450 pounds each, and your front axle at 3000 pounds, you will be limited to 2500 pounds as that is your loader's weight limit. Increasing the tires' weight capacity to 1760 lb each for an 8 ply tire won't help one bit in that case as the old tires supported 2900 pounds between the two of them and that was higher than the 2500 pounds the loader itself could lift. However, if your loader was rated at 3500 pounds instead of 2500 pounds, then putting on 8 ply tires would increase the weight limit to 3000 pounds, as you are now limited by the capacity of the front axle rather than the 2900 pounds the 6 ply tires would have supported. Does that make sense?

Yes, thank you very much for the detailed response Mo. I will look at the spec's of all and determine the best overall ROI. Thanks again !!