Komatsu D65S-6

/ Komatsu D65S-6 #1  

ETD66SS

Gold Member
I have the opportunity to get this D65S-6 for very cheap, pretty much whatever it takes to get it running and moving and loaded up on a lowboy and shipped ~20 miles.

20230422_105933.jpg

20230422_104603.jpg

20230422_104518.jpg

20230422_104705.jpg

20230422_104503.jpg

20230422_104557.jpg

I've taken a cursory initial look.

The UC is quite tired, but about the same as my D6C, some life left and for as much as I'd use it, would not fail for many years.

The straight exhaust was left uncovered for many years, I have been told this was a running machine 3-4 years ago.

I normally stick with CAT construction equipment as it is usually much easier to find parts for older CAT machines, but this one coming very cheap has me interested. Anyone know about parts availability for older Komatsu machines?

/ Komatsu D65S-6 #2  
That's the kind of price where you can't go wrong. 👍
Keep us updated!

/ Komatsu D65S-6
I also have an opportunity on a Hitachi UH122:

20230423_111203.jpg

20230423_111218.jpg

20230423_105129.jpg

20230423_111233.jpg

The UC on the Hitachi looks way better than the UC on the D65S-6. I have no idea why it was parked, the owner of these machines inherited them and has no clue about them. The man who did died a few years back...

I checked the final drives on the Komatzu yesterday, no oil came out of the level plugs, and I could not get a stick in there past the bull gear so I don't know if they have completely drained out...

Last edited:
   / Komatsu D65S-6 #4  
Not sure what year that D65 is but I had a 91 PC220LC for quite a long time. I could get anything I needed for that thing out of Wilmington NC from Linder. I setup an account with them and when I needed something they shipped it to me.

/ Komatsu D65S-6
Not sure what year that D65 is but I had a 91 PC220LC for quite a long time. I could get anything I needed for that thing out of Wilmington NC from Linder. I setup an account with them and when I needed something they shipped it to me.
From what I can tell the D65S-6 is late 70's or early 80's. Probably about the age where parts are no longer carried by any dealers etc.

/ Komatsu D65S-6 #6  
I've heard all sorts of pros and cons on Komatsu, which is why I avoided them. Hopefully you can find a good source of parts for it, but from what I'm seeing in your pictures, I'd pass on that one. But I'm not a big fan of track loaders. I just don't think that having tracks is a positive for moving dirt on a farm.

The Hitachi has a lot of potential that you could probably make decent money off of if you can get it working. I really like the Isuzu engine!!! Did they make any Deere excavators from that same model? Maybe you can get parts from Deere if they did.

Being as old as it is, you shouldn't have too much electrical stuff to mess with. Just wire it up to start, charge and whatever else it needs to operate. I found that most of my issues with older equipment is in the wiring. Once I remove all the wires and just connect just the basics, I never have any starting issues ever again!!!!

/ Komatsu D65S-6 #7  
Give them a call. You might be surprised. Terry is who I deal with there.

/ Komatsu D65S-6 #8  
Anderson Equipment is a Komatsu dealer in Henrietta. Give them a buzz and see if they can get parts. We have never had any issues getting parts for my fathers D41 dozer. He bought it new back in the mid 80's. He has had various Komatsu excavators too, with no problem getting parts. Anderson has a local dealer to me in NH too.

Like the others have said, you could snag both and make a few bucks on the excavator. Once its running and maintained, a cheap coat of paint would do wonders. The shovel isn't worth a heck of a lot, but it is a fantastic digger.