Kohler V- twin Oil Leaks

/ Kohler V- twin Oil Leaks #1  

GTSRider

Gold Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 3000
My Kohler Command 20 V-twin with 515 hrs on her just started leaking oil.
It appears to coming from the front ( PTO side ) just behind dual PTO belts.
Is it common for these engines to leak from seals ?
Is there an engine breather somewhere around that area , which would
shed some oil ?
Oil is actually dripping on mower deck when I am done mowing , and engine is hot.
Thanks.
Pete

/ Kohler V- twin Oil Leaks
A new find.... oil filter had a slight leak... and I 'm thinking air stream fro fan blew oil to front of engine making it appear that oil was coming from front seal.
Will keep an eye on it from here on.

/ Kohler V- twin Oil Leaks #3  
Hi.My Cub Cadet 1863 with a Kohler command 18 hp was leaking last year. I too thought it was from the oil filter it even seemed to be loose.BUT it was comming from behind the pto unit the seal was real loose and just popped out when I messed with it. Got a new seal for a few bucks.pushed it in (it fit much tighter) Now no leaks at all. cleaning up the machine and the mower deck was the worst part of the job.Mine had about 400 hours on it then. Oh and it has always ran HOT!! very HOT

Hey Mark...thanks for responding.... how difficult of a job is it to replace the seal ?
Mine is definitely leaking.... I saw it clearly tonight after 2 hrs of mowing.
Pete

/ Kohler V- twin Oil Leaks #5  
Hi Pete:
Actually it is not a hard job. I removed the front grill (or front of the machine.Just 4 bolts and a couple wires,)The hood came off with it, Then I think I took the belt off and removed the bolt in the middle of the PTO unit. Un plugged it and I think I even took off the engine muffler and metal heat baffel, then pulled the pto off. It came off easy. Right behind it is the seal. Took a pointed punch ( I was going to punch a hole in it, screw in a sheet metal screw or two and pull out the seal, but it was so loose I just worked it out. Then got a new one. Found an old piece of pipe slightly smaller than the outside of the seal and tapped it in. Clean up everything.and reassemble. Really only an hour or two to do it. I think it was a 2 beer job. You may be able to do it without actually removing the muffler but It made it easier to see everything and easier to get things cleaned up. My local Cub Cadet dealer had the seal only 3 or 4 bucks. That oil really makes the deck a mess,,but it won't rust??

/ Kohler V- twin Oil Leaks #6  
Hi Pete: I can't tell from your post where you are?? Let me know how ya make out!

Hi Mark...thanks for getting back to me.
I feel much better because I know I have the time to do the job....as it does not seem like a major job.
I'll let you know how I make out.
Pete
Millbrook , N.Y.

/ Kohler V- twin Oil Leaks #8  
This is a very old post, bot it seems to answer my question about a big leak from my Kohler 25 hp v twin. It just started spraying oil from the PTO side of engine. Thanks BDW

/ Kohler V- twin Oil Leaks #9  
A new find.... oil filter had a slight leak... and I 'm thinking air stream fro fan blew oil to front of engine making it appear that oil was coming from front seal.
Will keep an eye on it from here on.
Are you sure it's your oil filter. I just discover a leak on mine after a flywheel swap and oil change. Discovered when I pushed the oil cooler out of the way to lift the cover, the squeeze connectors going to the filter to the cooler are failing and going to swap out with screwdriver tighten type. Just a slight leak but know it's there. My engine is a 25 Hp Kohler.