Kohler CV15S 41587- Runs then quits- (Deere LT 155)

/ Kohler CV15S 41587- Runs then quits- (Deere LT 155) #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
Well guys this thing runs for a bit and then quits. I'm told its the carburetor float and instead of screwing around with it, cheaper to just replace the carb. SHOCKER- Kohler part on Jacks Small engine is like $175. I have guys telling me.."20 bucks on ebay". Obviously China knock offs. If I knew for sure it WAS the carb I would gladly spend the 175. But this 155 is the wifes to pull her cart around-and the grandkids. she is beating on me as I bought it used (900bucks) so she says she wants a new one. In any case I want it running so I can either get her quiet or sell it as a going tractor.

Any opinions on the knock off carbs? Or any other suggestions for that matter. Like I said, it will start and then runs for a few minutes and dies.

/ Kohler CV15S 41587- Runs then quits- (Deere LT 155) #2  
Yes. You should be wary of knock off carbs as they don't always work. I had a customer last week with a knock off carb on a Command single in fact. Seen it plenty of other times too. But back to your real problem. A few things will shut off this engine without other side effects. IE like with a carb overflowing you get fuel in the oil. These mechanical fuel pumps can shut off the engine when a check valve fails. Sounds like it is running out of fuel. Check the vent in your fuel cap first. The ignition coil will also shut these down. You may lose spark or the capacitor will get wiggy and throw the spark so far out of time it pops, backfires and dies. Or honestly can seem too like it is a fuel supply issue. Those are the main components that fail with your tractor. Debris is the fuel tank that plug the pick up tube, fuel line or floating around in the carb bowl are possible as well. If you have a condition where it starts and chugs like it is running rich and conks out, your choke may not be opening as some have this spring loaded choke wizard on the top of the choke shaft rather than a solid type shaft. Easy to see, just remove the air box so you can see the choke plate.

/ Kohler CV15S 41587- Runs then quits- (Deere LT 155)
TP, Thx for info. Oil in crankcase looks good -no dilution. But it will occasionally pop and backfire as you describe. It also does not sound right to me on occasion-like it is out of time. This thing has been the Deere from ****! I replaced a bunch of the magnets, Then that compression release mechanism failed- took motor out of chassis and brought it to shop and used crank and spring was installed. Put it back in and it was out of time-finally got it running reasonably well but now this issue.

I've shot carb with cleaner but to no avail. If it was the cap, wouldn't the fuel filter show air?-its a big clear one. Then again, If I just take cap off that should verify that as an issue correct?

/ Kohler CV15S 41587- Runs then quits- (Deere LT 155) #4  
Yeah, pretty much on the fuel cap. When these fuel pumps work, they will actually implode lesser fuel tanks. Seeing though you have history, pull the flywheel and have a look at the key. If you have compression, it sounds coil like. It doesn't happen often, but they can develop a loose exhaust valve seat as well.

Yeah, pretty much on the fuel cap. When these fuel pumps work, they will actually implode lesser fuel tanks. Seeing though you have history, pull the flywheel and have a look at the key. If you have compression, it sounds coil like. It doesn't happen often, but they can develop a loose exhaust valve seat as well.

THX TOM

/ Kohler CV15S 41587- Runs then quits- (Deere LT 155) #6  
Well guys this thing runs for a bit and then quits. I'm told its the carburetor float and instead of screwing around with it, cheaper to just replace the carb. SHOCKER- Kohler part on Jacks Small engine is like $175. I have guys telling me.."20 bucks on ebay". Obviously China knock offs. If I knew for sure it WAS the carb I would gladly spend the 175. But this 155 is the wifes to pull her cart around-and the grandkids. she is beating on me as I bought it used (900bucks) so she says she wants a new one. In any case I want it running so I can either get her quiet or sell it as a going tractor.

Any opinions on the knock off carbs? Or any other suggestions for that matter. Like I said, it will start and then runs for a few minutes and dies.

Have a co-worker that has been dealing with a progressively worsen situation over 2 years where his John Deer riding lawnmower shuts off during operation and won't start again until waiting 20 minutes.

He has thrown a lot of parts at the problem and now has narrowed it down to a bad ECM which he is replacing this Friday for $90 (Amazon).

P.S. You might need a new wife. :laughing:

/ Kohler CV15S 41587- Runs then quits- (Deere LT 155) #7  
When this happens, Loosen fuel cap and see if it will run. Tank may not be venting.

Well guys back to the 155 from ****. Not sure where I read this, but it was suggested that as it was about to stall, shut the fuel supply off.

remember my issue is it would start, run-but not with a smooth sound, and then after two or three minutes just quit- and sometimes with a bang.

So I had it running yesterday-again not with a smooth sound, and as it sounded like it was going to die, I shut the fuel off. All of a sudden the engine just smoothed out and sounded like it should before it died.

I have read so much conflicting stuff-carb, fuel pump, resistor etc , but this says to me, the carb is likely issue.

thoughts?

/ Kohler CV15S 41587- Runs then quits- (Deere LT 155) #9  
SO what have you done so far?

SO what have you done so far?

Verified fuel cap not an issue. Spent a lot of time searching on line. Buddy of mine from beginning said it's the float hanging.
Shutting off fuel line and hearing engine smooth out as it should says it is in fact the carb.

I'll do that same drill tomorrow