Kodiak vs bush hog weight

/ Kodiak vs bush hog weight #1  

Brady D

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1910, Case farmall 95, John Deere 317g
I have a ford 1910 and originally I had a 6 ft standard duty bush hog that was bought new with the tractor it weighed too much for the tractor and made the front wheels super light so I switched it for a 5 ft kodiak and it can pick up to the max height without any issues at idle and there’s no problem with weight distribution. So I was curious if the 6 ft kodiak would be lighter than the bush hog brand because the 5 ft is a little to small for my tractor the wheels stick out about 3 inches wider than the cutter itself

/ Kodiak vs bush hog weight #2  
Doesn't the Kodiak web site list the weight for a six foot unit -??

/ Kodiak vs bush hog weight #3  
2cents: Also consider a more heavy duty mower and add some front weight. Weights may have benefits in other applications. My 7’ mower is too light duty, I’m constantly backing into something or turning in a ditch and folding in the sides. You don’t want to hear that noise when they hit the blades and then have to figure out a way to fold them back. Your mileage may vary.

/ Kodiak vs bush hog weight #4  
60" - 72" Rotary Cutters:

400/500 pounds = light duty = grass only.

600/700 pounds = medium duty = grass and ocasional light brush, perhaps to 1"

1,000 pounds = heavy duty = mostly brush, even dense brush and saplings to 2".

Heavy brush inevitably dulls the heavy blades so does not cut grass as nice as a Rotary Cutter used only for grass. Splayed-end brush cut by rounded blades dies more surely than evenly cut brush cut by sharp blades. Most who cut considerable brush sharpen heavy blades only at two to three year intervals.

I cut 3" hardwood saplings like Hickory with a chain saw. I knock down softwood 3" saplings with a Ratchet Rake on the bucket, before mulching them on the ground with a 1,000 pound Land Pride RCR2660 Rotary Cutter.

/ Kodiak vs bush hog weight #5  
the 5 ft is a little to small for my tractor. The tractor tires stick out about 3 inches wider than the cutter itself

Adjust your TPH stabilizers to offset cutter 3" then cutter will cover one of the two tire tracks. Not a perfect solution, but functional.

/ Kodiak vs bush hog weight #6  
A mower narrower than tractor tire width only matters if you’re trying to drive along and mow up next to something without turning.
When mowing open spaces you’re actually flattening over less grass (one track that gets mowed on the next pass), than with a wider mower that flattens two tracks each pass.

/ Kodiak vs bush hog weight
A mower narrower than tractor tire width only matters if you’re trying to drive along and mow up next to something without turning.
When mowing open spaces you’re actually flattening over less grass (one track that gets mowed on the next pass), than with a wider mower that flattens two tracks each pass.
I mow a lot of fields with fences so a bigger rotary cutter would make it a bit easier