Knowing when to Hold or to Fold on Tractor ownership.

/ Knowing when to Hold or to Fold on Tractor ownership. #1  

Gale Hawkins

Tractor
1948 Allis Chambers Model B 1976 265 MF / 1983 JD 310B Backhoe / 1966 Ford 3000 Diesel / 1980 3600 Diesel
Last year I added a 1966 Ford 3000 at the age of 66 and have since picked up an one arm FEL for it and a nice 3PH forklift mainly for the heavier 265 MF.

Yesterday I went and looked at the last year of the 3600 Ford generation. It was a 250 mile trip through rural farm lands of KY and IN which I enjoyed very much but also got my eyes opened as to the future of rural living as we age.

Before I got to the location yesterday I was crossing one lane bridges and meeting big PU trucks on a one lane road. The guy only posted one photo of the tractor and stated while it was rusty and not so good looking it it mechanically sound with less than 2500 actual hours because he bought it 32 years ago and was basically the only driver of it but never row cropped with it or worked it hard.

Yes when the starter finally engaged the engine started well without smoking and sounded nice and shut off the lift stayed up with the bush hog lifted. What took me back is how much stuff was missing, bent, broken, etc. The more the guy talked it seemed he was more focused on the way it was 32 years ago and perhaps the reason he is selling home and equipment to move to a less rural area. I think in his mind what he told me over the phone was correct.

By the time I got back home last night thinking about life as we age and about this 3600 owner and the owners of the two implements that we picked up this year I realized it is going to be best for me to focus keeping up the Ford and MF and replacing the things needed while the parts are still available in case they stay in the family. On the old backhoe I will just keep it functional and not worry about paint and the like.

The guy yesterday was my age which got my attention that age related changes come where we are aware or not. Today in Mayfield KY was the huge annual used farm equipment auction where people come from several states but I am at home typing this. I have birthday party to attend for a 5 year old and a senior guy who I am his guardian that has been sick to check on this afternoon.

Actually this reflection to work to get our 1966 and 1976 tractors up in top notch shape and not drag more tractors home makes me feel better already and even more so for the wife and kids. :) They know of the cases locally where old men have died messing with old equipment. The MF has been in the family since new so it is not going outside of the family and the 1966 Ford is a quality machine so if they want them each kid will have a tractor passed to them.

Personally I do not plan to move to town but who knows. I am working to think, eat and move in a way that increases my odds of good physical and mental health because at the age of 67 I am at the funeral home visiting more than ever. Many times they are friends that have just given up on life. I do not want to do that so I am going to work to be more realistic about my love to buy equipment and use care when working on and using it.

I love the rural way of life and driving through parts where rural life is still a way of life.

/ Knowing when to Hold or to Fold on Tractor ownership. #2  
As long as you enjoy it and are able, I would keep at it. I too have seen many just quit on life and yet others at 80+ as my father until recently, are able to do most things they want to. Good friend of mine at 74 can still work most anyone into the ground, even after a hip replacement. When the day comes to let up some, you値l know it. I wish you the best my TBN friend.

/ Knowing when to Hold or to Fold on Tractor ownership. #3  
68 and still working because I want to, albeit only a 24 hour fortnight with a week on and a week off, it keeps me out of trouble and active.
I ride my bike into town which is a 5km round trip, I have a Ferguson TEA20 which I have finally decided is a lost cause and costing more to fix than what it is worth plus it is a dangerous beast to drive being back heavy, I have had the front wheels in the air on too many occasions and would like to live a little bit longer.
SWMBO is having an operation soon and we are going away for 3 weeks when she gets out of hospital, she is like me although 6 years younger and considerably better looking, very fit and active and I know when she gets home she will want to get stuck into everything, by going away for 3 weeks she won't be able to but she has her camera and no doubt will vanish into the bush looking for wildflowers to shoot.
I have seen too many people just sit back and do nothing then die prematurely, it is an easy course to follow but I don't like the last page.

/ Knowing when to Hold or to Fold on Tractor ownership.
68 and still working because I want to, albeit only a 24 hour fortnight with a week on and a week off, it keeps me out of trouble and active.
I ride my bike into town which is a 5km round trip, I have a Ferguson TEA20 which I have finally decided is a lost cause and costing more to fix than what it is worth plus it is a dangerous beast to drive being back heavy, I have had the front wheels in the air on too many occasions and would like to live a little bit longer.
SWMBO is having an operation soon and we are going away for 3 weeks when she gets out of hospital, she is like me although 6 years younger and considerably better looking, very fit and active and I know when she gets home she will want to get stuck into everything, by going away for 3 weeks she won't be able to but she has her camera and no doubt will vanish into the bush looking for wildflowers to shoot.
I have seen too many people just sit back and do nothing then die prematurely, it is an easy course to follow but I don't like the last page.

And for all of these years I thought it was a USA designed tractor.

The Ferguson TEA 2 - BBC Perpetual Motion - Complete film - YouTube

/ Knowing when to Hold or to Fold on Tractor ownership. #5  
   / Knowing when to Hold or to Fold on Tractor ownership.
As long as you enjoy it and are able, I would keep at it. I too have seen many just quit on life and yet others at 80+ as my father until recently, are able to do most things they want to. Good friend of mine at 74 can still work most anyone into the ground, even after a hip replacement. When the day comes to let up some, you値l know it. I wish you the best my TBN friend.

While I would still like a gas 3000 Ford as well that is not planned. More things like the $300 FEL and the $450 fork lift 3PH may be added but trying to avoid buying anything with an engine and drive train. Would like to do a detailed restore of the FEL and mainly paint the Westendorf 3PH forklift back to its OEM color scheme as a take it / leave it projects going forward.

I do not evision a set down retirement yet.

/ Knowing when to Hold or to Fold on Tractor ownership. #7  
While I would still like a gas 3000 Ford as well that is not planned. More things like the $300 FEL and the $450 fork lift 3PH may be added but trying to avoid buying anything with an engine and drive train. Would like to do a detailed restore of the FEL and mainly paint the Westendorf 3PH forklift back to its OEM color scheme as a take it / leave it projects going forward.

I do not evision a set down retirement yet.

I am 77, and have a Ford 3400TLB
I have owned that machine for 32 years.
Have no plan to EVER get rid of it, or either one of my other 2 Fords.
My 3400TLB, and the 1920FEL, have both been completely restored in the past 3 years.

/ Knowing when to Hold or to Fold on Tractor ownership. #8  
Last year I added a 1966 Ford 3000 at the age of 66 and have since picked up an one arm FEL for it and a nice 3PH forklift mainly for the heavier 265 MF.

Yesterday I went and looked at the last year of the 3600 Ford generation. It was a 250 mile trip through rural farm lands of KY and IN which I enjoyed very much but also got my eyes opened as to the future of rural living as we age.

Before I got to the location yesterday I was crossing one lane bridges and meeting big PU trucks on a one lane road. The guy only posted one photo of the tractor and stated while it was rusty and not so good looking it it mechanically sound with less than 2500 actual hours because he bought it 32 years ago and was basically the only driver of it but never row cropped with it or worked it hard.

Yes when the starter finally engaged the engine started well without smoking and sounded nice and shut off the lift stayed up with the bush hog lifted. What took me back is how much stuff was missing, bent, broken, etc. The more the guy talked it seemed he was more focused on the way it was 32 years ago and perhaps the reason he is selling home and equipment to move to a less rural area. I think in his mind what he told me over the phone was correct.

By the time I got back home last night thinking about life as we age and about this 3600 owner and the owners of the two implements that we picked up this year I realized it is going to be best for me to focus keeping up the Ford and MF and replacing the things needed while the parts are still available in case they stay in the family. On the old backhoe I will just keep it functional and not worry about paint and the like.

The guy yesterday was my age which got my attention that age related changes come where we are aware or not. Today in Mayfield KY was the huge annual used farm equipment auction where people come from several states but I am at home typing this. I have birthday party to attend for a 5 year old and a senior guy who I am his guardian that has been sick to check on this afternoon.

Actually this reflection to work to get our 1966 and 1976 tractors up in top notch shape and not drag more tractors home makes me feel better already and even more so for the wife and kids. :) They know of the cases locally where old men have died messing with old equipment. The MF has been in the family since new so it is not going outside of the family and the 1966 Ford is a quality machine so if they want them each kid will have a tractor passed to them.

Personally I do not plan to move to town but who knows. I am working to think, eat and move in a way that increases my odds of good physical and mental health because at the age of 67 I am at the funeral home visiting more than ever. Many times they are friends that have just given up on life. I do not want to do that so I am going to work to be more realistic about my love to buy equipment and use care when working on and using it.

I love the rural way of life and driving through parts where rural life is still a way of life

The rural area I grew up in is changing. I know on a Saturday, you could go to town and you would find the same type of crowd; farmers in their overalls, driving their old Chevy or Ford trucks...plus the rest of the family...even those who where physically and mentally handicapped. Rural folks, none the less. Now, seems like there is a lot of city trailer trash moving into the rural areas, and the towns are changing. Last car show I attended in my old home community, I felt like they had emptied some inner city ghetto into that little rural community. I recently heard of a murder in the area...brother killed brother...drugs were involved. As they say, you can never go back home.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

LANDPRIDE AT3590 3PT MOWER, S/N L119335, 540 PTO (A34808)
LANDPRIDE AT3590...
2023 John Deere 5090E MFWD Tractor (A33783)
2023 John Deere...
Pull Type Conibear Spreader (A34573)
Pull Type Conibear...
Sany SY50 MP Hydraulic Thumb (A34573)
Sany SY50 MP...
Finn Straw Blower (A34302)
Finn Straw Blower...
John Deere 490D Excavator (A33113)
John Deere 490D...