KK 40hp or 60hp gearbox identification? Anyone know.

/ KK 40hp or 60hp gearbox identification? Anyone know. #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Anyone know how to tell the difference in the KK 40HP and 60HP gearboxes on their standard rotary cutters?

I have an older one, that is identical in every way to this King Kutter Rotary Lift 3pt. Hitch Kutter

And I see it was optioned with either a 40hp or 60hp. Short of tearing it apart to get some measurements, is there any visual (or external measurement) way to tell which gearbox it is? I know there are listed as a 25# difference between the two cutters. I would certainly think there would be a noticeable difference.

Its on an older beat up cutter. Considering Getting ready to drag it into the shop for a referb. Got some broken welds and bent metal and in need of paint. Wanting to asses the damage to decide if its worth fixing for another spare or to sell, or if I should just scrap it. Either way, I will keep the gearbox but want to know its rating.

/ KK 40hp or 60hp gearbox identification? Anyone know. #2  
The mower your link points to has a 40hp gearbox! There should be a tag on your gearbox with a number like 250001 on it, King Kutter uses Omni gearboxes and that is Omni's number. The 40hp box has a 1.57" diameter output shaft while the 60 hp has a 1.97" diameter shaft. Both mount the same and can use the same PTO but the blade carriers are different.

/ KK 40hp or 60hp gearbox identification? Anyone know.
The link lists several KK models. At least for me it does. Mine is either the L-60-40-P or L-60-60-p. 60" and shear pin, but unsure of 40 or 60 HP gearbox.
'No numbers on the gearbox that I saw. Cast or otherwise.

But that output shaft diameter is precisely the info I am looking for. That will tell me for sure. But a slight difference in output shaft size wouldnt make a 25 pound difference I wouldnt think. What is different about the blade carrier/stump-jumper??

/ KK 40hp or 60hp gearbox identification? Anyone know. #4  
The 60hp gearboxes have larger gears, output shaft, and tapered bearings on the output size. The housing is also considerably larger. The stumpjumper on the 60hp unit has a larger blade hub with 15 tapered splines vs 12 tapered splines on the 40hp

/ KK 40hp or 60hp gearbox identification? Anyone know.
You dont happen to have any measurements of the boxes themselves do you? height, length, and width. Would be quicker than pulling the stump jumper to tell.

Or do they by chance have a different ratio?

Either way, no big deal. With the output shaft difference, I will know what I have as soon as I get into tearing it apart.

Thanks for the help so far.