Kioti OEM 3rd Function vs the Lane Shark WR Long kit?

/ Kioti OEM 3rd Function vs the Lane Shark WR Long kit? #1  

txbonds

Tractor
NS4710C HST
Anyone happen to have the current OEM Kioti 3rd function installed on their tractor? (Preferably NS model, but they may all be the same)

I’m trying to figure out if the OEM Kioti kit allows for operation of Curl functions and 3rd function at the same time, or does it only do one or the other?

Looks like the WR Long kit that Lane Shark offers with the Continuous flow option supports simultaneous operation of a bucket curl and grapple open/close but I could be wrong.

Anyway, just wondered if anyone could confirm on the Kioti kit.

Thanks.

/ Kioti OEM 3rd Function vs the Lane Shark WR Long kit? #2  
There are two types of electric over hydraulic 3rd function kits. One is a diverter valve that redirects flow from the curl function to the 3rd function. This is done by holding a button in while moving the curl lever on the loader valve to operate the 3rd function.

The other type is what is often referred to as a true 3rd function. This type will have 2 buttons that will work the 3rd function without having to move the loader levers. I believe this is the type that Kioti uses.

However, on an open center system and because you can‘t feather the 3rd function, it is very unlikely you will be able to curl and operate the 3rd function regardless of the type they use.

If you had a manual valve that could work independently of the loader valve then you may be able to feather both valves and operate simultaneously although slowly. I do not believe you will find this as a problem and will get use to operating curl and 3rd function separately.

/ Kioti OEM 3rd Function vs the Lane Shark WR Long kit? #3  
I have the factory 3rd function on my DK4710SE. If RPMs are high it will sort of operate the grapple while curling.
My two complaints are more about the design. First is how the hydraulic system is protected. Second issue is that rather than go to steel tubing across the loader arm,they just ran hydraulic hoses held on by zip ties.
Overall though I am satisfied with the option. The only problem I have had with the 3rd function is brush disconnected one wire connector. I pushed it back together and kept on working. View attachment 837704
20231206_083907.jpg
20210303_105306.jpg

/ Kioti OEM 3rd Function vs the Lane Shark WR Long kit?
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I ended up making a decision and running with it. I asked my dealer to order the Kioti OEM 3rd function kit. Honestly, even though it is mounted lower than the WR Long setup, I like the Kioti replacement control lever knob setup better.

The other thing I finally decided on after looking at the Lane Shark, the Limb Ninja, the Path Slayer, and others is that I wanted something a little cheaper, easier and maybe even safer. So, I ended up ordering one of the Saber Samurai sickle style cutters. It runs off the 3rd function So the hydraulic setup is cheaper than the full blow WR Long Lane Shark setup that has continuous flow. The factory OEM setup is almost half the cost of the Lane Shark setup. Also, not having the rotating blades up in The air just makes me feel safer about the possibility of someone getting hit by flying debris or god for bid a thrown blade. Our property is used for weekend getaway and pleasure purposes so at any given moment that I’m cutting a family member could come up behind me on our Ranger. The hedge trimmer style approach of the Saber Samurai seemed a little safer approach in this case.

Anyway, I did talk to lane shark and I could add on their control box and my own return to sump if I needed to change over to their product for some reason down the road. Hopefully I’m making an okay decision here. Lot of money to spend if you need to shift gears and go another direction.

And Dave, regarding the hoses, I saw another install where they had the 90’s turned up and flipped the metal guard box upside down. Kept them from hanging so low and protected them from debris below. I’ll probably install mine that way.

Now time to research grapples. I’m wanting to use it for debris clean up like smaller sticks, limbs, piles of raked pine straw, etc. I’m thinking a full clam shell with the tines closer together makes most sense. Any suggestions on ones to look at? Is the Kioti version considered a good one?

Thanks again
Greg

/ Kioti OEM 3rd Function vs the Lane Shark WR Long kit? #5  
Please let us know how the mower works.
I like the wicked 60 grapple I have. I can pluck brush straight out of the ground sometimes. I held the hoses as shown and it works well.
I suppose I should look into a backup beeper as it is easy to get lazy and not look before starting to back up.View attachment 837892
20220823_133907.jpg

I finally pinned down the type of grapple I wanted (root rake style) and located a nicely priced one with my dealer made by CID as their skid steer medium duty 66” grapple rake. Orange one pictured below. I really like the style and features. They are supposed to
Hold it for me till this weekend. Now if my 3rd function kit would hurry up and get here I’d be set. Lol

I also ordered the second Kioti rear port kit and ordered the top and tilt link kit from Michigan iron.

72417100701__BB3E4B90-E8BB-4E52-BAB0-6DA480BF6E23.jpeg

Last edited:
Got the grapple today but can’t use it until my Kioti 3rd function kit comes in. I sure hate waiting. LOL. Hopefully won’t be too long.

Picked up a skid steer mount plate that has a 2” hitch receiver on it. Plan to use this to create a mount for the Saber Samurai once it comes in. Should make it easier to mount it up each time I want to use it, but also can use it to move around trailers as needed by installing a draw bar.

Lastly, my Michigan Iron hydraulic top/tilt setup shipped today so hope to have it sometime next week. Just like the grapple, just need my second rear hydraulic port kit to show up so I can start using both of them.

IMG_4080.jpeg

Could really use the top/tilt kit now as I’ve been working to crown one of our roads and I’m tired of having to constantly make manual changes to the blade tilt.
IMG_4089.jpeg

/ Kioti OEM 3rd Function vs the Lane Shark WR Long kit? #8  
That grapple looks quite beefy! I like how it has closed panels. That should help protect the grill better.

That grapple looks quite beefy! I like how it has closed panels. That should help protect the grill better.
That is one of the features I really like also. It also has the cylinders and hoses protected fairly well. Would love to have had one of the 66” Wicked ones but it would have cost me at least $2k more than this one. Considering my usage for occasional cleanup around our property, I’m thinking this one will serve me well Though.

IMG_4083.jpeg

/ Kioti OEM 3rd Function vs the Lane Shark WR Long kit? #10  
I have the factory 3rd function on my DK4710SE. If RPMs are high it will sort of operate the grapple while curling.
My two complaints are more about the design. First is how the hydraulic system is protected. Second issue is that rather than go to steel tubing across the loader arm,they just ran hydraulic hoses held on by zip ties.
Overall though I am satisfied with the option. The only problem I have had with the 3rd function is brush disconnected one wire connector. I pushed it back together and kept on working. View attachment 837704View attachment 837705View attachment 837706
Can you flip that box 180 degrees and run the hoses out of the top of it?