KIOTI NX 4510 HST CAB

/ KIOTI NX 4510 HST CAB #1  
Tractor
Kioti NX4510 HST CAB
Hello Forum Folks,

I just purchased by very first tractor. I've never been around tractors before. It is a used 2017 Kioti NX 4510 with a hydrostatic transmission (L-N-M-N-H) and a cab.
I am reading the owner's manual which I do not find very helpful and watching YouTube videos to learn about the tractor. I drove it and it seemed to operate fine. Yesterday however, I had a problem happen. I had the tractor running but no attachments, I put it in the "N" position between L and M, I locked the parking brake, and stood up to get out of the cab. When I did, the engine cut off. I tried to start the tractor back up but it wouldn't turn over. When I turned the key, the dash lights would come on but nothing else happened.

I called the person that I bought the tractor from and he said, yeah, it did that to me sometimes. He didn't tell me that when he sold it to me...
He said move the range lever to another position and try to start it. I moved the lever to "M" and the dash showed "N". I turned the key and it started. YAY !
I drove it back to where I wanted to park it and put the lever in "N" again and when I stood up, it cut off again.

Is this some sort of calibration issue or is the transmission going bad?
It can't be good to continue to drive it like this. I don't know if I'm in Low, Medium, or High. I don't even know if I can get into High since I have to have the lever in M to get Neutral.

Does anyone know what is going on here?

I called the closest Kioti Dealer and they said to bring it in and let them check it out. I have a trailer but it won't handle this size tractor. I asked Kioti if they would pick it up and deliver it back and they asked how far away I was. I told them that Google Maps says 21 miles. They told me the pickup and delivery charge would be $300.00 + the cost of the repair.

Is there any other way to try to figure this out without taking it into the dealer?

Thank You!

/ KIOTI NX 4510 HST CAB #2  
Tractors are chock full of safety switches. Sounds like your machine requires the transmission to be in neutral to be out of the seat? I would start by looking at the neutral switch on your range shifter. See if you can find a parts breakdown to see what's there.
The other typical safety switches are Operator presence (seat), Neutral safety (on the HST pedal), and PTO.

I have never owned a machine that requires the range shifter to be in neutral when the operator is out of the seat, or to start. That doesn't mean that your machine doesn't require it.
Good luck.

/ KIOTI NX 4510 HST CAB #3  
I don't know what you use is but, I think you found a very nice 1st tractor.
If you are wanting the tractor to stay running when you exit you will need to defeat the seat safety switch.
The switch on my tractor is zip tied so it won't react to me getting up. I bought it that way. Just be away that being HST and being in gear - If you stumble and step on the gas it will go if you do this.

/ KIOTI NX 4510 HST CAB #4  
You should not have to put it in neutral on an hst, Just set the brake, Drop the bucket and whatever is on the 3pt and get off,

/ KIOTI NX 4510 HST CAB
Thanks everyone for your quick replies. I appreciate each one of you.

Per the Owners Manual, the range shift lever must be in neutral to start the tractor and to leave the tractor with the tractor running (see attachment).

When I'm able to find neutral and lock the brake, I can start the tractor and get up of the seat without the tractor shutting off.

In my mind, if the Neutral Safety Switch was bad, I wouldn't be able to get in neutral at all. If the seat switch was bad, I wouldn't be able to get off the seat at all either. Perhaps I'm wrong?

It seems like it the range shift lever is out of sync, if that's a thing. Or the transmission is going bad.

I will try to find a parts manual online like RJ suggested and see what parts are involved between the shift lever, dash, pedals, and the transmission.

Unfortunately, I'm not very mechanical so I may break down and pay the $300.00 fee and let the dealer check it out.
Not a good first experience with a tractor... : (

Attachments

• 20220926_221007.jpg
    20220926_221007.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 39
   / KIOTI NX 4510 HST CAB #6  
Arnold check this site out you may
find what you need:

willy

/ KIOTI NX 4510 HST CAB #7  
Congratulations on your new tractor!

Both my hst tractors take a little time to be able to shift ranges. One the previous owner used muscle instead of time and messed up the position vs indicator timing. Little adjustment and bending the lever back but it back to proper spec. Shifting ranges can be tight on new tractors till they are broken in a little. Every tractor has individual quarks to learn.

The dealer can put it back to factory specs and may catch other service points to address. Good opportunity to start a good relationship. Be good to get started on the right foot. Service manual good to study for doing routine maintenance, adjustments and building your understanding and abilities.

Like many I have disabled the seat switch for my operating but have decades of experience. Not something I would recommend to a new owner.

/ KIOTI NX 4510 HST CAB #8  
Don't sweat it. You probably just need to get the "feel" of where the shift ranges really are with respect to your lever. The crude sticker next to the lever may not be gospel when it comes to where the transmission really is. If the dash shows "N", its actually in neutral. So just pull your lever forward or backward from there and you're good to go.

Also, you can just unplug the seat safety switch and put a jumper in the connector..... but you didn't hear that from me. Don't get run over or anything, but man is it annoying to accidentally kill the engine just because you came up off the seat. I stand up a lot to see my front loader, could never live with the engine dying just because I'm not in neutral.

/ KIOTI NX 4510 HST CAB #9  
Also, if the lever is stiff to operate, or too clunky, you can always crawl under the machine (when it's off) and lubricate all the linkages and pivots for the shift assembly. Might make it more smooth and clear.

/ KIOTI NX 4510 HST CAB #10  
Don't sweat it. You probably just need to get the "feel" of where the shift ranges really are with respect to your lever. The crude sticker next to the lever may not be gospel when it comes to where the transmission really is. If the dash shows "N", its actually in neutral. So just pull your lever forward or backward from there and you're good to go.

Also, you can just unplug the seat safety switch and put a jumper in the connector..... but you didn't hear that from me. Don't get run over or anything, but man is it annoying to accidentally kill the engine just because you came up off the seat. I stand up a lot to see my front loader, could never live with the engine dying just because I'm not in neutral.
Hello Forum Folks,

I just purchased by very first tractor. I've never been around tractors before. It is a used 2017 Kioti NX 4510 with a hydrostatic transmission (L-N-M-N-H) and a cab.
I am reading the owner's manual which I do not find very helpful and watching YouTube videos to learn about the tractor. I drove it and it seemed to operate fine. Yesterday however, I had a problem happen. I had the tractor running but no attachments, I put it in the "N" position between L and M, I locked the parking brake, and stood up to get out of the cab. When I did, the engine cut off. I tried to start the tractor back up but it wouldn't turn over. When I turned the key, the dash lights would come on but nothing else happened.

I called the person that I bought the tractor from and he said, yeah, it did that to me sometimes. He didn't tell me that when he sold it to me...
He said move the range lever to another position and try to start it. I moved the lever to "M" and the dash showed "N". I turned the key and it started. YAY !
I drove it back to where I wanted to park it and put the lever in "N" again and when I stood up, it cut off again.

Is this some sort of calibration issue or is the transmission going bad?
It can't be good to continue to drive it like this. I don't know if I'm in Low, Medium, or High. I don't even know if I can get into High since I have to have the lever in M to get Neutral.

Does anyone know what is going on here?

I called the closest Kioti Dealer and they said to bring it in and let them check it out. I have a trailer but it won't handle this size tractor. I asked Kioti if they would pick it up and deliver it back and they asked how far away I was. I told them that Google Maps says 21 miles. They told me the pickup and delivery charge would be $300.00 + the cost of the repair.

Is there any other way to try to figure this out without taking it into the dealer?

Thank You!
The N indicator on the dash has to be lit and the parking brake applied before leaving the seat. The shifter label and its actual position may not exactly agree. L is lowest, then a neutral, M in the middle, then a neutral, H is highest. Nice tractor, hope you enjoy it. I opted for a DK5310, but liked the NX series.