Buying Advice Kioti DK4510HS - Good tractor? Good Pricing?

/ Kioti DK4510HS - Good tractor? Good Pricing? #1  

ransonjd

Bronze Member
Tractor
BCS 605
Hi,

New forum member here. I'm finally ready to buy a tractor for the 40 acres of wood and field my wife and I got last year. I've tried out tractors at all of the local dealers. The tractor that I liked most was a Kioti DK4510 with the Hydro Shuttle transmission. I've been asking questions on the main forum, but I figured I should break out my Kioti questions onto this forum.

I'm certain the tractor meets my needs. I went a size up. I figure I need 25HP at the PTO, and it's got 41.6HP. I rode the tractor and dug around in a dirt pile, so I know it's nice to use. It can take the implements I care about.

Is it a good, reliable tractor? For those of you with Kioti tractors, are you satisfied? (Of course, the Kubota dealer kept telling Kioti horror stories, but I don't give them much credence.)

Finally, is this pricing good? I don't need 0% financing because I expect to pay the tractor off early.

Kioti DK4510HS $34,121 (84 month, 5.99% financing)
Tractor & Loader w/R1 Tires $22,325
Rim Guard $380
Woods BB72X 72" Rotary Cutter $2,415
Extendable Lower Links $258
Floor Mat $0
Block Heater $68
Erskine 725FM 72" Front Snowblower: $7,850 + $825 Hoses & Labor

Thanks for any help you can give!

--John

/ Kioti DK4510HS - Good tractor? Good Pricing? #2  
Can't speak for the newer models, but my 2001 DK 35 sure has been good.
I've owned it 16 years and never have any issues.

/ Kioti DK4510HS - Good tractor? Good Pricing? #3  
I just bought a DK5010HS and am happy so far, with only a few hours. I previously owned a DK40SE HST for about 5 years and had only one problem ever (a failed hydraulic seal, which may have failed due to using the tractor in extreme cold weather before it was really warmed up). I owned a US-made Deere before that and didn't feel there was a significant quality difference between the Deere and the DK40. With my DK5010HS I see a few areas where it seems to be built a little lighter than I would like, but no issues. I see the same sort of issues with Kubota tractors, FWIW. I consider the Kioti brand to be very good quality, much as the best Korean car brands are now equal to Japanese brands in quality.

Kioti DK4510HS $34,121 (84 month, 5.99% financing)
Tractor & Loader w/R1 Tires $22,325
Rim Guard $380
Woods BB72X 72" Rotary Cutter $2,415
Extendable Lower Links $258
Floor Mat $0
Block Heater $68
Erskine 725FM 72" Front Snowblower: $7,850 + $825 Hoses & Labor
Thanks for any help you can give!
--John

Right now you can get a DK5010HS for less money than above - $21,500 with loader and R1 tires - due to a promotion. Saving $825 and getting more horsepower seems like a win/win to me.

More Power For Your Money | Kioti Tractors

Other than that:

1) the lack of extendible draft links on the DK10 series is, to me, an excuse to get a quality quick-hitch. A Woods quick hitch cost $300 at my local dealer, and I expect it to be far more convenient than extendible draft links, which I had on both my previous tractors.

2) The price on a Woods BB72X is similar to what I was quoted. However, you can get a flail mower for the same or slightly less money. You are close to Woodmaxx, which imports a flail mower you might like ( FM-78 Flail Mower | Tractor Flail Mower | PTO Mower Attachment | -WoodMaxx™ ). The Caroni TM1900 is also an option (Flail Mower, Rear Flail Mower TM19 | Caroni) and one that I had with my DK40. I've owned a 6' rotary cutter before and while it's simple and durable, the flail mower is much more pleasant to use and somewhat safer. There is a thread in attachments that goes over flail pros/cons, I encourage you to read it before buying a rotary cutter.

3) Price for Rimguard is typical, and I would take Rimguard over calcium chloride or methanol. But I personally prefer cast iron weights and intelligent counterweighting with implements. This depends on your planned uses and how much you'll be distracted or tempted to do heavy loader work without a counterweight. But IMHO the liquid fill is overkill for many users, and has drawbacks in accelerated wear and fuel consumption, and enormously greater hassle if a tire springs a leak.

/ Kioti DK4510HS - Good tractor? Good Pricing? #4  
Last time around I went with Kioti. I am very pleased and have had no issues in the first 3 years at all. That is an experience I never had with JD, Kubota or Massey as they all had something that needed attention within the first 2 years.

I get a kick out of the way some dealers try to trash talk their competition when they realize your looking at other brands. Unless the dealer/salesman has a good foundation and proof of the horror story and is willing to take the steps to prove what they are saying I would not buy anything from them at all even if I did decide to buy their brand.

/ Kioti DK4510HS - Good tractor? Good Pricing? #5  
I have a DK40se that now has ten years and closing in on 600 hrs on it. Never back to the dealer. A couple of minor warranty part replacements (seat belt retractor, fuel bowl) that I handled myself with help from UPS. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat but I think the tractor will outlive me.

Only issue with the newer Kioti's has been similar to the occasional Tier 4 regeneration issues affecting all new tractor engines. A bit of a pain to figure out but it's all under warranty so should be sorted at the company's expense if any issues do arise.

/ Kioti DK4510HS - Good tractor? Good Pricing? #6  
I don't have a DK, but I think I can comment on some basics...

Not all implements work with quick hitches. I've battled with this fact for many years: I gave up on a quick hitch previously and have been reconsidering, but I now find myself faced with yet another implement that I rely on that won't work with a quick hitch. In the brief time I've had my NX I've discovered that the extend-able lower link arms are really nice to have: my NX 3pt hitch is CAT 2 (I'm 55hp), so it's even more valuable (more weight to have to deal with).

Kioti's documentation has a LOT to be desired. This forum is a great help in overcoming this issue.

Not sure how Kubota is with paint these days but I know that my 2006 B7800's paint is significantly better than on my Kioti. If I were a tractor-washing person it might be an issue.

I have found that I am able to beat dealer pricing on most implements, not to mention find better quality stuff.

Wheel ballast for my NX was about 40% less than what you're being quoted, so that $380 seems a bit high.

With 56 hrs on my NX I've managed to haul about 120k lbs of material (running it in a 3k lb dump dump trailer), heft around a bunch of crates of wood, pulled down a couple of cut snags (hung up), relocated a dug-up stump and a tree trunk (trunk for firewood) using a grapple, and have done a little bit of mowing (now that the weather is starting to dry out- and I've gotten my "new" Bush Hog rotary cutter mostly operational). Other than dealing with a couple of new-tractor issues, which the dealer resolved, my Kioti has not had any problems.