KIOTI DK 45 SE HST Stopped while running - won't re-start

/ KIOTI DK 45 SE HST Stopped while running - won't re-start #1  

dourobob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Wheel Horse 522xi
It all started out fine but ...

I was bush hogging earlier today and had been operating for about an hour when, all of a sudden, the tractor shut down.

No cough. No spit. No sputter. No shudder. It just stopped.

I wasn't sure what to even look for but started with the basics.

Fresh fuel almost full.
Dash lights, radio and A/C fan working.
Crawled underneath looking for loose wires or ????
Lifted the hood to do the same?

Nothing visual as far as I could see.

With PTO, radio and A/C shut off I tried to start it again - no success.

I noticed when I turned the key to the ON position I could hear a click, similar to when the pre-heater comes on, and, a couple of seconds later, another click, a little louder. Still would not start. Motor would turn over like crazy but would not catch.

This is probably not a recommended approach but, I lifted the hood, stood on the right side of the tractor with the cab door open and turned the key. Because I do not have a six foot long arm, I could not turn the key while my head was under the hood but, when I turned the key to the ON position, it sounded like the second click was coming from one of the relays at the upper rear of the engine compartment.

Tractor only has 6 hours so far and I am sure the dealer will come through but, if this is an easy 10 minute fix and has happened to someone else, I would rather "bank" the goodwill for when I might really need and save the dealer a two hour call (one hour each way).

Any ideas on what I should look for next?
Hopeful to hear from the experts.

Bob

Last edited:
   / KIOTI DK 45 SE HST Stopped while running - won't re-start #2  
dourobob, is the shuttle shift in neutral and the pto disengaged, sorry buts it's the only things I can think of at the moment.

/ KIOTI DK 45 SE HST Stopped while running - won't re-start #3  
Not sure where it's at, but sounds like the fuel shutoff solenoid or wiring/relay to the solenoid is faulty.

/ KIOTI DK 45 SE HST Stopped while running - won't re-start
Thanks Damifino

Yes - HST is in neutral and PTO is off. All lights and horn are working as well.

Just edited the first post to say the engine tuns over like crazy but does not want to catch.
Also, it stopped while it was running on a straight line just using the bush hog.

Attached is a picture of the relays where I think the clicking noise comes from.

Bob

Last edited:
   / KIOTI DK 45 SE HST Stopped while running - won't re-start #6  
I would check fuel lines and fuses, hope this helps...cag

/ KIOTI DK 45 SE HST Stopped while running - won't re-start #7  
I don't know what the issue is, but I would definetly check the fuel filter settings. It is possible that there is a air lock there. I would also check the plugs and the battery. My battery connects were loose when I bought it. The battery was bouncing around in there. Small things cause big problems.

On the other hand, with only 6 hrs on a tractor, it isn't good will, it is stopping a potential return. I'd call in a second. My dealer is a stand up guy, I like him, I continue to do business with him. Some things people do themselves can potentially void a warranty. Check the things the owner's manual says to check, the rest is for the dealer under warranty.

Just my .02.

/ KIOTI DK 45 SE HST Stopped while running - won't re-start #8  
Turn your key on and off quickly a couple of times and see if it will start.
I have seen the fuel shut off act up before.

/ KIOTI DK 45 SE HST Stopped while running - won't re-start
Thank you Wallace and PA Hayseed and CAG and Carpenter 383

I will go through all those things this morning.

Absolutely, I agree that involving the dealer is a good idea and I have him on my call list for this morning as well. He seems to be a stand up fellow and I have no reason to think otherwise.

I hoped there was a magic bullet (something obvious that I did not see) that might do the trick but I do not want to jeopardize the warranty and would only go ahead on my dealer's approval.

Will keep you posted.

Bob

/ KIOTI DK 45 SE HST Stopped while running - won't re-start #10  
If you are hearing 2 clicks, the fuel solenoid is opening, then shutting back off. It could be a faulty solenoid, Display unit, or relay. You would need to do some testing to determine what is causing the solenoid to either shut on it's own, or loose the signal from the display unit and shut back down.

There are 2 coils in the solenoid. The first coil pulls the solenoid into the open position, to allow the fuel rack to move (loud click from under the hood). The second coil holds the solenoid in the open position. It sounds like you may be loosing the signal for the hold coil. The second click you hear is the solenoid not getting the hold signal and shutting back down.

Hope this helps.