King kutter mower - painted belts spindles and fittings

/ King kutter mower - painted belts spindles and fittings #1  

PistolPete

Tractor
John Deere X590
So I just picked up my new 72” finish mower a few days ago and I’m getting it all set up. I get her hitched up, set the wheels, and then take off the cover to grease the spindles. Lo and behold, they’ve painted EVERYTHING. the belt, the spindles, the shear bolt and nut. The gearbox bearing. The ZERKS. Is this normal or did I get a messed up machine here?? Any recommendations for what I need to scrape off, and what I can leave? Will those zerks ever take any grease?

/ King kutter mower - painted belts spindles and fittings #2  
So I just picked up my new 72” finish mower a few days ago and I’m getting it all set up. I get her hitched up, set the wheels, and then take off the cover to grease the spindles. Lo and behold, they’ve painted EVERYTHING. the belt, the spindles, the shear bolt and nut. The gearbox bearing. The ZERKS. Is this normal or did I get a messed up machine here?? Any recommendations for what I need to scrape off, and what I can leave? Will those zerks ever take any grease?

Seems KK is getting messy more and more. At least mine didn't have the belt painted. The fittings . . . YES THEY DID.

I cleaned off the fittings with acetone because they stuck out far enough and then picked at it with a finger nail. Best NOT to mare up fittings with scratches.

As for the belt, just run it. If the pulleys got painted, you may need to figure out how to get the pain off of the bearings and not ruin them.

/ King kutter mower - painted belts spindles and fittings #3  
Cheer up!
There is no primer, and likely no acid wash either.
Your paint will begin to chip off in just a few days.

/ King kutter mower - painted belts spindles and fittings #4  
It's common practice to put a squirt of grease in the bearings during assembly and before it gets painted.

/ King kutter mower - painted belts spindles and fittings #5  
On my KK Pro tiller (purchased 2017) they painted over the grease zerks. After greasing! So even over the extra grease hanging off the end. :) Not a major issue though... this is a piece of equipment, not a car. The paint has held up fine through a lot of tilling these past 4 years. The unit looks great.

Rob

/ King kutter mower - painted belts spindles and fittings
Thanks guys for talking me down. On further inspection, the “moving” parts, while painted, were greased/oiled under the paint, so it peeled right off.
Got her all hooked up and lubed, and mowed my 6 acres this afternoon. Nice new tool!