King County WA cougar attack

/ King County WA cougar attack #11  
The WA State U football team, down in Pullman, WA - aren't called Cougars for no reason.

/ King County WA cougar attack #13  
Ha, ha - that IS funny. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::p

/ King County WA cougar attack #15  
The Fox Fire books had stories about people being hunted, attacked and sometimes killed by what they called cougars, mountain lions, painters or panthers.

The Fox Fire books were written in the late 1960's as a class project for a school in the Appalachian mountains. The school is near the GA/NC border. The kids went out and talked to older relatives to document the old ways of living before the knowledge was lost.

I once walked a trail where the Fox Fire books had a story of a man being hunted by a cougar on that same trail. Did not hear or see a cougar but did see some Black Bear cubs and their momma on another nearby trail.

/ King County WA cougar attack #16  
Mountain Lions are common in our area. Last summer while working at my desk I saw one casually walk by about 20' from my window late one afternoon.

The California Department of Fish and Wildlife reports 21 verified mountain lion attacks since 1986 of which 3 were fatal. The majority were in Southern California.

/ King County WA cougar attack #17  
We had a cougar last month just 300 yrs up the road. Neighbour’s daughter was hissed at by one in a tree while walking to the barn. We believe it took out several raccoons over the week it was close to us. I was seen 3 times over a week. Everyone just kept there dogs on leash and carried a stick while out in the yards and walking around. No pets were lost that we know of.

/ King County WA cougar attack #18  
We have lion everywhere in my area. A few years ago some goats and miniature horses were killed by a lion about a mile from where I live. Several years ago a man was killed when he was sitting in a hot springs in southern New Mexico. They are not protected here, but they are considered a game animal and a hunting tag is required to take one. I have spent 40 plus years working in the woods and field and have only seen about a half dozen up close. They are very elusive. Bobcat And bear sightings are much more common.
No Bigfoot sightings?
1708489554790.png

/ King County WA cougar attack #20  
I haven't kept up with it since I moved away from California, but when I lived there in the 90's, it was becoming common to hear about Mountain Lion attacks on people, livestock and pets. In California, the made the Mountain Lion a Protected species with tens of millions of dollars being raised in taxes to ensure it's protection.

To prove how wacky this is, when a Mountain Lion attacks somebody, a State Trapper is hired to find and kill it. The same thing happens when they kill livestock on a farm. I knew one of the State Trappers through a good friend, and I went out with him a few times to deal with problem racoons in the Central Valley. He ran the dogs, my buddy and I did the shooting.

Since the law was passed to protect Mountain Lions, the State of California has hired State Trappers to kill more mountain lions in a year then where ever killed when there was a legal hunting season for them. This is because the Mountain Lions have lost their fear of people, and encounters have increased dramatically.

In one example, in the East Bay, not too far from Oakland is a place called Crow Canyon. It's a fairly busy road from Castro Valley to San Ramon. There are a bunch of small farms in Crow Canyon. One night a Mountain Lion got into a killing spree and killed every sheep on one of those farms. They were all in a small fenced in area, and I think it was over a dozen sheep, but I forget the exact number. The State Trapper that I knew was hired to kill that lion, which was living a very short distance away, and very close to several houses.

Here is a video that a friend posted on FB of a Mountain Lion walking past her house in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of California in July 2023.

Here is a video that another friend took of a lion killing and dragging away his neighbors goat. This was in the Central Valley of California, just South of Livermore in May of 2023.

And I thought our laws were restrictive....

If farmers themselves can't legally defend livestock with lethal force in California.... just One More Thing, to add to The List.....

Rgds, D.