Killing unwanted trees, hack and squirt method

/ Killing unwanted trees, hack and squirt method #21  
Back in FLA, I used to help try to control invasive plants on state land. We would use a plant killer mixed in diesel fuel that was in a 1-2 gallon sprayer. For trees we would remove the bark around the trunk and spray. For bush sized plants, we would just scrape away the bark with the boot and then spray. Some of these plants were very invasive and if you just killed the trunk, the roots would still sprout. One of the tree species would sprout from a dead trunk lying on the ground. The plant killer was to make sure the roots and trunk would not sprout.

I can't remember the plant killer. Seems like it was a 2,4 X chemical but this was decades ago. On our place I have used the DR mower to cut down Russian Olive and then spray the roots with Round Up which seems to work.

Later,
Dan

/ Killing unwanted trees, hack and squirt method #22  
I've been using 25% Triclopyr in diesel, applied directly to 12 to 18" of the trunk to kill poison oak. We have a lot, some in big bushes and other plants are the vine form with the leaves way up in trees. It takes about a month to kill them. It works better and uses less herbicide than foliar application. Best results are when the plant is actively growing. I also use it on cut stumps of trees that resprout. The diesel helps it stick to the bark and not just run off.

With trees I prefer to cut the tree down then treat the stump if needed to prevent resprouting. Some of our tree species like bay and eucalyptus are agressive resprouters and will keep coming back if you don't kill the roots.

I prefer Triclopyr to Glyphosphate because it's broad leaf specific. The firs are the one species we have that doesn't resprout. So it's not there killing everything. Triclopyr also doesn't last as long in the soil as Glyphosphate. It's more expensive but my only uses are as described above and only on 20 acres, so I'm not going through a lot of it. One gallon of 62% may last me a couple years.

/ Killing unwanted trees, hack and squirt method #23  
Like glyphosate, triclopyr is long out of patent. Shop around, you will find it pretty cheap. As long as you are not spraying it over a large area, drift is no concern, so triclopyr 4 will be fine. The local farmer's co-op sells 2.5 gallons for $62 and 2.5 gallons of glyphosate for $55. If you are doing slash and squirt, 2.5 gallons should do about 150 trees.

/ Killing unwanted trees, hack and squirt method #24  
Like glyphosate, triclopyr is long out of patent. Shop around, you will find it pretty cheap. As long as you are not spraying it over a large area, drift is no concern, so triclopyr 4 will be fine. The local farmer's co-op sells 2.5 gallons for $62 and 2.5 gallons of glyphosate for $55. If you are doing slash and squirt, 2.5 gallons should do about 150 trees.

Correct. I think you could get a lot more than 150 trees with that much triclopyr (Garlon).
Some species of tree like beech or locust propagate by underground root suckers as well as seeds so they might need a return visit next year.

/ Killing unwanted trees, hack and squirt method #25  
The method of hack and squirt is typically referred to as the hypo-hatchet technique. A true hypo-hatchet actually was a hatchet with a tubing running inside the handle and into the head with a small port to eject the chemical from a backpack tank into the cambium layer upon striking the tree. Most companies that used this method only wanted the trees to be hit a few times each rather than complete girdling because of time and chemical use. Do a google search on hypo-hatchet and I'm sure all the chemical information will be found. If memory serves me correctly though, I think garlon was a pretty popular choice.

/ Killing unwanted trees, hack and squirt method
Most companies that used this method only wanted the trees to be hit a few times each rather than complete girdling because of time and chemical use.

Not sure I understand what you mean here. Maybe you can explain.

/ Killing unwanted trees, hack and squirt method #27  
: beaver.jpg :)

/ Killing unwanted trees, hack and squirt method #28  
Not sure I understand what you mean here. Maybe you can explain.

Girdling the tree is cutting all the way around the tree, typically just through the bark and cambium layers.

/ Killing unwanted trees, hack and squirt method #29  
I'd not squirt but paint with concentrated glyphosate or Roundup. Haven't actually done this.

Usually cut and paint onto stub of what I cut. Paint immediately. Works well on most anything. With a Tree of Heaven stump right after woodcutters took it down. Never got any saplings from it.

/ Killing unwanted trees, hack and squirt method #30  
I'd not squirt but paint with concentrated glyphosate or Roundup. Haven't actually done this.

Usually cut and paint onto stub of what I cut. Paint immediately. Works well on most anything. With a Tree of Heaven stump right after woodcutters took it down. Never got any saplings from it.

Hack and squirt with the various nasty herbicides are effective , often better results with seasonal timing. Regional species do have their quirks and often you can get the straight scoop from your local certified arborist and or extension agents. It usually isn't necessary to use the baddest stuff on the market.
That said, read the labels, wear proper protection.

Cutting the tree off at the stump, and treating the fresh stump with concentrated round up or generics is the LEAST toxic in the big picture of things. Poking cuts with the tip of your chainsaw or big drill bit improves the effect, pour the stuff in the holes.