Kiester cooler.

/ Kiester cooler. #1  

Fixastuff

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey
I'm going to be putting in fiber all summer for rural internet. Going 36" deep is slow. This means I'll be sitting in a vinyl chain trencher or excavator seat for hours on end.

Any solutions for being cooler? Taxi driver bead seat covers? Ice packs for the butt lol? Any kind of 12v butt fan insert?

As a one man crew the most I've got in and back filled in one day is 1400ft. Usually di about 1000 a day. Only got 500 today because of collaping sandy trenches.

Thanks for reading.

/ Kiester cooler. #2  
You could always use the trick of professional cyclists. Make a tube from nylon stockings by cutting off the leg. Then, fill it up with ice, tie a knot in the opening, and wrap it around your neck, under your shirt. The slow melt will keep you cool(er) for a few hours. It's cheap, and easy to refill.

/ Kiester cooler.
Just ordered a butt fan on Amazon. I'll report back once I've used it.

/ Kiester cooler. #6  
I have a special "seat pad" that I use in the summer. It allows air flow. Sort of like sitting on a pile of straw. Google - seat pads - see what you get.

/ Kiester cooler. #8  
Yes - Fixastuff - that is almost exactly like what I have. Sure does help.

/ Kiester cooler. #10  
You could always use the trick of professional cyclists. Make a tube from nylon stockings by cutting off the leg. Then, fill it up with ice, tie a knot in the opening, and wrap it around your neck, under your shirt. The slow melt will keep you cool(er) for a few hours. It's cheap, and easy to refill.

This works well for racing cyclists because they're moving at 25 mph on the flat so there is plenty of air flow to evaporate the water, and they're wearing light weight form fitting clothes made from material that wicks water.

I don't think it's going to work as well sitting on a stationary machine and wearing regular outdoor work clothes.

The air flow seat pad is what I'd suggest.