KIDS ATVS Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / KIDS ATVS Banned! #1  

bluechip

Veteran Member
I have recently learned that as of last tuesday, it is unlawful to sell any ATV or dirt bike marketed to riders under 12 years old as part of the Consumer Product Saftety imporvement act of 2008, also known as the "lead ban". This may be the unitentional result of our congress voting on bills they have not read, or it may be a deliberate attack on the powersports industry. The end result is that today, it is unlawful to sell under 90CC ATVs and dirt bikes and any other product marketed toward those under 12 years with more than 600 ppmillion of lead. The major brands have all pulled thier inventories. stop by your local motorcycle shop and ask about a ride for your kid.... and get this... NO PARTS can be sold for those same products...

/ KIDS ATVS Banned! #3  
I don't know how our kids or us ever made it without the government telling us what to do and how to do it. Oh, for the good old days when I decided what I could do and what I enjoyed. Maybe that is what's wrong. I ate to much lead paint when I was a kid. :mad:

/ KIDS ATVS Banned! #4  
I think most of them say 12+, right?

Kyle

/ KIDS ATVS Banned! #5  
When I bought my son's ATV ( B-4 HE WAS 16) the salesman didn't want to hear I was buying for him. The ATV was labeled no one under 16

/ KIDS ATVS Banned! #6  
Let me add this b4 bedlam closes the thread because it pertains to our freedom of enjoying our toys outdoors in rural america.

Bush signed this BS bill into law, did he read it? doubt it. Is more of this coming ? Yep.

I do believe it was an unintended consequence of a bill supposed to keep kids safer.

these products need to be inspected by the wholesaler/importer b4 they get to the mom and pa stores.

/ KIDS ATVS Banned! #7  
Just the ones made in China right?

BTI

/ KIDS ATVS Banned! #8  
Think about this. Any toy with a lead acid battery is banned. Any toy with lead solder in the electronics is (or will be) banned.

Say GOODBYE to cheap computers as the conversion to lead free solders will add a snit pot of cost and will significantly lower the reliability of the solder joints leading to early life failures.

/ KIDS ATVS Banned! #9  
It is like every piece of federal legislation. They pass this stuff and then a few years later, people begin to realize the scope of what it really does, but they never repeal any of their mistakes. CERCLA was passed with nobody paying attention to what it really meant, and then a couple of years later real estate lawyers realized that it imposed strict liability for environmental clean up costs on anybody taking title to a contaminated piece of property even if they didn't know it was contaminated.

Have to wonder what they were thinking with this legislation since its going to put Goodwill and other similar nonprofits that resell used clothing and kids toys out of business.

/ KIDS ATVS Banned! #10  
OH the Humanity! What will the children do? How can they ever have fun again? I, I'm,,, I can't talk anymore. Oh what will we do?

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself this time ( a little Hindenburg humor:D)

Status
Not open for further replies.