Oil & Fuel kerosene in diesel fuel

/ kerosene in diesel fuel #1  

Anonymous Poster

My 1310 went in Ford/NH dealer for a headgasket leak, came back knocking. Went back in where they proceeded
to replace rings and one cylinder and cleaned the injectors. Came back running OK but they claim the problem was kerosene in the fuel. I was buying my diesel from service stations but switched to ag grade diesel. Am I
getting hosed?

/ kerosene in diesel fuel #2  
Kerosene indicates you're operating in a cold environment. My thought is the pump and injectors should do their job on k1/No2 mix without a problem. Most of the northeast runs this mix when temps are in the teens or lower. It works better than gelatin, which the no.2 becomes at these temps. My bet would be that a liquid was present in the combustion chamber, either fuel, water or coolant. This probably took out the gasket and caused the piston problems. The liquids could also pop off the rocker shafts since the valves won't open against the increased pressure. Your outcome was better than mine; see "1200 with 1/2 power and clang" in the NH owning forum for my result.

/ kerosene in diesel fuel #3  
Straight kerosene doesn't have the lubricity that diesel fuel has so if your injectors were on the verge of needing cleaning, the kerosene could have let the plungers "stick" in the bushings.

/ kerosene in diesel fuel #4  
The best place which I've found diesel to purchase,where the highway or state department purchase there diesel,for its a name brand w/winter addives.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ kerosene in diesel fuel #5  
Thomas, you can purchase your fuel from state gas stations? Here in CA., most of the time they fuel up at the state garages or stations. The best place to purchase here is at the truck stops. Trucks use about 100 to 300 gallons at these stops so the diesel doesn't sit long before new stuff is brought in. Out here there is no No.1 diesel, its all No. 2 diesel (no addives either). Right now I'm paying about $1.53/gal for diesel. Rat...

/ kerosene in diesel fuel #6  
I would have to echo the comments about finding a fuel dealer that sells a lot of diesel. I actually have one truck stop I like to go to in the summer months because their No. 2 fuel gives slightly better performance & I go to a different dealer in the winter months because their fuel is blended after it gets cold out (that with additive gives me complete piece of mind even in the coldest weather). I have never found any water from these staions when I drain my truck system for water. Only once did I buy fuel at a smaller station & found that I got a couple drops of water in the system. I learned very quickly the importance of finding good high volume places to buy fuel.

Troy

/ kerosene in diesel fuel
Last Friday, winterized diesel was $1.25 gal. (non-taxable) Upstate New York area, that I paid.

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

Thanks for the info. Your probably right. When the shop told me it was kerosene that caused the problem,
I check the 5 gallon tanks I use and they had a slight kerosene smell. I called the distributors and they
told me they do not put kerosene in as an additive, so I'm not sure where I picked it up. Even so, I would not
have used enough of the tainted fuel to cause a rebuild. Your reasoning sounds good to me and I'll feel better
about the money I spent now. Thanks

Did you fill up your cans or did someone else. If someone else did it is possible they filled the cans up at the Kerosen pump instead of the Diesel pump. I get my diesel from a fuel supplier, they transport the diesel in from PA and then distribute it. They are constantly going through diesel because they run about 20 trucks non stop and are always refilling so the diesel is always fresh.

/ kerosene in diesel fuel #10  
Rat,
The state and city highway found its cheaper to purchase there diesel from a brand name gas station.
So where the big boys diesel up so shall I,for you know the want the best.
Diesel now $1,59 and drop from $1.72 /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif