Kawasaki FD620D plastic gear?

/ Kawasaki FD620D plastic gear? #1  

beenthere

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_425, JD_455 AWS, added JD_455, JD_110, JD_X485(sold)
Posting this for those who wonder if their FD620D has the plastic gear or the steel gear.
I just tore down my Kawasaki FD620D engine with the intention to change out the assumed plastic gear to the steel. But when getting it apart, after getting the crankcase cover removed and a pic posted, a sharp TBN'r thought it looked like a steel gear that I was going to remove. A magnet confirmed it was steel.
How could I have known earlier? For one, I could have used the magnet when that gear was partially exposed after the water pump was removed.. could have tested with a magnet at that time and saved removing the crankcase cover if no other reason to go further..

The s/n of the Deere 425 this engine was out of was for 1996, and two years before Deere changed and put in a steel gear after mid '98. I had no idea what repairs were done the first 600 hours before I purchased it on craigslist. Has run perfectly for me the last 250 hours, and didn't burn any oil at all between oil changes. But must have been a reason to change out the plastic gear, and there is some indication it may have evolved around a water pump fail (couple bolts showed signs of being new).

So, just saying that removing the water pump is about the easiest way to determine if the cam gear is plastic or steel (and it can be done without removing the engine from the frame). Hope this can help someone...

/ Kawasaki FD620D plastic gear? #2  
You'd think there's a way we could get serial #s or some indication from Kawasaki to take the confusion out of this.
Of course there would be no of knowing if they were previously changed.

So you're saying it you take the water pump off it gives you a visual of the gears..?

/ Kawasaki FD620D plastic gear?
Yes, the water pump gear runs off the cam gear and can be seen.. and reached with a magnet for a check. Still costs a couple gaskets to put it back together tho.
Here is a pic after removing water pump showing the cam gear that meshes with the waterpump gear. And a pic after the crankcase cover is removed.

Attachments

• 425_23_waterpump_out.jpg
    425_23_waterpump_out.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 541
  • 425_21.jpg
    425_21.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 372
   / Kawasaki FD620D plastic gear? #4  
That's good to know. :thumbsup:

/ Kawasaki FD620D plastic gear? #5  
Agreed, my JD 285 lost the water pump at about 450-500 hours. At the time I did not even know there was a plastic cam gear that could cause future problems. It let go at 1100 hours. Mine was a 1989