kawasaki engine crank seal

/ kawasaki engine crank seal #1  

muddstopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ventrac, Steiner
I had noticed my Kubota zeroturn,, 23.5hp, had been using some oil. It takes me 3 hrs to mow everything and it would always be down about a 1/2 quart when I finished. Mower is 10 years old, bought used and had a life as a commercial mowing machine. No telling how many hours on this engine, so I just figured the motor is old, and worn out. Yesterday, the crank seal under the flywheel blew out, dumping oil everywhere. I removed flywheel and seal just slipped out with very little effort. Usually I have to pry to get a seal out from around a shaft. Looks like the seal had actually spun in the housing. While removing the flywheel, I noticed a lot of endplay in the crank, didnt measure, but it is pretty extreme, up and down and side to side. I am guessing bearing/bushings worn out and is what caused the seal failure. New seal is about $4, engine rebuild kit almost $400. New engine, $1600. I am trying to figure a way to just finish this mowing season with this mower. I can replace the seal and it might last as few more mowings, maybe???. I am considering a rebuild, but have heard that the crank bushings arenot replaceable and you have to replace the crankcase housing, which is around $700. I am not going to spend $700 for a crankcase, and $400 for a rebuild kit when for just a little more I can just buy a new motor.

I need to know if anybody here has rebuilt a 23hp Kawasaki engine and if indeed the crankcase bushings are none replaceable, before I start tearing this engine down. I would also like to know if a 26hp kawasaki engine would just bolt in place of the 23.5hp. Pretty sure i can get the larger engine with the same shaft size, but I am only guessing the bolt mounting circle is the same. I figure if I am going to have to buy a new engine, might as well upgrade a little. The 23.5 always seemed to be a little underpowered for this mower.

/ kawasaki engine crank seal #2  
Jack's Small Engines could help you with all questions/parts/new engine. If you rebuild make sure the crankcase vent is clear, if there is one.