Kaufman 22' tilt deck equipment trailer purchase

/ Kaufman 22' tilt deck equipment trailer purchase #21  
I have had a Kauffman 27 foot (lower deck with flip ramps) and 9 foot planked upper deck GN for years that I regularly overload with round bales. I have the oil bath axles on leaves and the only modification I had to do was I added gusset plates to the lower spring mounts because I was twisting them when overloaded making tight turns. Other than that and the typical crappy paint job and exposed hanging wiring. no issues. Never turned into a swayback either and I've never strapped it below the lower frame rail, which is common on overloaded trailers.

/ Kaufman 22' tilt deck equipment trailer purchase
I don’t know the measurements on my 8k axels but I thought they looked pretty small. They’re a far cry from being equal to my 10k axels.
I guess as long as they are 8k rated it doesn't really matter, I just always assumed that the size of the tube indicated the rating of the axle and had never heard of a hybrid axle before today and still not sure how they get the 8k rating out of an axle tube that is the same diameter as a 7k, but there is a lot that I don't know about trailer axles, maybe someone who knows can explain. I do believe that hybrid 8k axles with a 3" axle tube is what these trailers come with, so when I upgraded from 7k to 8k I may not have done as much as I thought:oops:.

/ Kaufman 22' tilt deck equipment trailer purchase #23  
I do believe that hybrid 8k axles with a 3" axle tube is what these trailers come with, so when I upgraded from 7k to 8k I may not have done as much as I thought:oops:.
I think it's the bigger brakes I'd want, more than the bigger tube diameter.

SR

I think it's the bigger brakes I'd want, more than the bigger tube diameter.

SR
Maybe so, I'm sure they are better but I haven't had any trouble stopping it with the current equipment trailer that I have been hauling it on and it has 2" x 12 brake shoes, but I agree the bigger brake shoes would be better, things of this nature are probably the reason that this model of Kaufman trailers are so much cheaper, just hope I don't find everything to be cut corners.

/ Kaufman 22' tilt deck equipment trailer purchase #25  
Maybe so, I'm sure they are better but I haven't had any trouble stopping it with the current equipment trailer that I have been hauling it on and it has 2" x 12 brake shoes, but I agree the bigger brake shoes would be better, things of this nature are probably the reason that this model of Kaufman trailers are so much cheaper, just hope I don't find everything to be cut corners.
I don’t think you will. Most manufacturers find ways to cut corners.
Like nisaacs says, make sure you do your homework. Ask lotsa questions.
There is also the issue of overkill.

I was hell bent on buying a trailer with 8K axles & single tires, which are fine trailers, but came to the realization that for MY application, I would prefer 10 or 12k axles with dual tires just in case I have a flat. Plus my trucks are able to tow a trailer that size.

To each his own and education, research & careful consideration along with maintaining a responsible budget

I don’t think you will. Most manufacturers find ways to cut corners.
Like nisaacs says, make sure you do your homework. Ask lotsa questions.
There is also the issue of overkill.

I was hell bent on buying a trailer with 8K axles & single tires, which are fine trailers, but came to the realization that for MY application, I would prefer 10 or 12k axles with dual tires just in case I have a flat. Plus my trucks are able to tow a trailer that size.

To each his own and education, research & careful consideration along with maintaining a responsible budget
Yeah I would love to have 10k axles on the tilt deck trailer but the upgrade is 8k's and realistically should be good for the skid steer and forestry mower with about 2k left over. My big thing is the price difference between a Big Tex and this Kaufman trailer is 6k+ more for the Big Tex and I just can't see spending that much more for what I am needing, time will tell I will be going to South Carolina to pick it up in a couple of weeks.

/ Kaufman 22' tilt deck equipment trailer purchase #27  
I owned a Big tex before my Kaufman and it was a good trailer, but the Kaufman gives you more for less money.
I’d own either trailer.

/ Kaufman 22' tilt deck equipment trailer purchase #28  
I owned a Big tex before my Kaufman and it was a good trailer, but the Kaufman gives you more for less money.

Humm...I would say less for less money. I do agree with your comment on responsible budget. Money don't grow on trees. It is about what is important for you and your use.

Assuming the OP is comparing apples to apples on the two trailers. Just in axles alone the price difference is huge. Retail on hybrid spring axles is about $1400 each. Again, not saying the Kaufman has them, just saying some of their trailers do. Dexter premium torsion axles are $4,000 each retail. Warranty on spring axles (Dexter) is 5 years, torsion is 10 years.

The Kaufman is a 17k gvw, with spring axles of unknown origin. Bigtex is 17.5k and uses the Dexter premium torsion axles.

Kaufman uses 6" channel main and sub frame with 3" channel crossmembers on 17" centers. Bigtex uses 8" on both and 3" crossmembers on 16" centers.

This is just a small sample of economy and not. Not picking on Kaufman, just pointing out some differences between the two and why the price difference. The OP asked:D

/ Kaufman 22' tilt deck equipment trailer purchase #29  
That’s probably a fair statement. What I mean by ”more for less money” is more value for less money (As opposed to better components). We know you think Kaufman is low quality, but they seem to hold up just fine and I use mine weekly and heavily loaded, too. I wouldn’t be afraid to buy another because it’s all I can afford and the savings allows me more $ for fuel, and insurance.

I’m stuck in the Kaufman/Appalachian/Pequea affordability range. I can’t afford premium name brands on a trailer, but I use my trailers every day. Some guys I know have way better trailers than me and use them 3 or 4 times a year.

That’s the way life works out in farming and the property maintenance trades. We have to find respectable well built equipment that’s affordable.

Last edited:
   / Kaufman 22' tilt deck equipment trailer purchase #30  
I looked at Kaufman trailers years ago but ended up getting Loadtrail trailers. 22 foot tilt deck 14k and a 22 foot flat deck. The only thing that I changed was the tires and rims to 19.5 Firestones on the tilt deck....