KAMA 454 valve lash adjustment

/ KAMA 454 valve lash adjustment #1  

Paddy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, G5200, KAMA 454
Does any one have the procedures for adjusting the valve lash on the KAMA 454, engine Feidong 395 T. 3RRL had a nice procedure for the 4 cyc.

Patrick

/ KAMA 454 valve lash adjustment
3RRL,

The Kama is very different than the link's engine, intake on oposite side. And I also should note my question is can be simplfied. I have read the Engine manual now. Cyclinder #1 is towards the front? And how do you determined T.D.C. for number 1? When refering to rotation between adjustments CW or CCW, from view of the seat? Or just figure "in the direction the engine turns in normal operation"?

I have had the valve cover off so I know the trick how the compression release needs to be turned so the valve cover goes straight up!

With regards to head bolt re-torque. Break each one free, one at a time, lube and re-tighten to spec? Normally, you torque'm down in a sequence.

/ KAMA 454 valve lash adjustment #4  
Paddy
#1 should be the one close to the rad.,tie stop so its on and engine can't start. turn engine and watch the intake valve, when the intake just closes continue to rotate in the normal running direction 180 degress, that is TDC.
or go here and read this:
PA tractor forum - Login
for more detailed way of doing it. read under heading: Adjusting those valves

Jim

/ KAMA 454 valve lash adjustment #5  
Paddy,
What Jim said about cylinder numbering and finding TDC is correct. Rotate in direction of normal engine rotation. You can double check rotation by looking at the fins on your radiator fan too.
The head bolt re-torque is just that.... To make sure the head bolts are set at proper torque. Re-torque each bolt after loosening...mark the head and bolt first so you will see it rotates past it's prior position when you hit the proper torque. You can still follow the sequence for this procedure. I would torque them down in sequence if I removed the head without a doubt. This particular adjustment is to insure the head bolts are torqued correctly and should be fine to do it that way. Again, this is what I do and others may disagree.

/ KAMA 454 valve lash adjustment #6  
3RRL said:
Paddy,
What Jim said about cylinder numbering and finding TDC is correct. Rotate in direction of normal engine rotation. You can double check rotation by looking at the fins on your radiator fan too.
The head bolt re-torque is just that.... To make sure the head bolts are set at proper torque. Re-torque each bolt after loosening...mark the head and bolt first so you will see it rotates past it's prior position when you hit the proper torque. You can still follow the sequence for this procedure. I would torque them down in sequence if I removed the head without a doubt. This particular adjustment is to insure the head bolts are torqued correctly and should be fine to do it that way. Again, this is what I do and others may disagree.
I agree, but make sure you lightly oil the threads and underside of the bolt head if you can get the bolt out all the way. Do only one at a time so you do not break the gasket set.
As far as lash timing, heres is the fool proof way to do it. while slowly rotating the engine in the normal direction, this can be achieved by overtightening the alternator belt and slowly turning the alternator pully nut (losen belt again when done) watch the for the intake valve to open, and when it just finishes closing adjust the exhaust valve of that same cylinder.
Then, watch the exhaust valve and when it just starts to open, adjust the intake valve. This will get you very close to the middle of the base circle on the cams. Being that the base circle is a fairly large area and are ground as a round shape being off a little will not matter much.

/ KAMA 454 valve lash adjustment #7  
schmalts, one has to watch, I got kicked off a board for telling people to adjust valves that way (the correct way) and I have it posted on MY board that way, but I guess there are greater minds out there. I adjust mine same as you stated and have it posted as such where I know I won't get hung for saying it. Come to think of it, didn't you get crap on the same board because they thought you were me?
PA tractor forum - Login

/ KAMA 454 valve lash adjustment #8  
tat2z1969 said:
schmalts, one has to watch, I got kicked off a board for telling people to adjust valves that way (the correct way) and I have it posted on MY board that way, but I guess there are greater minds out there. I adjust mine same as you stated and have it posted as such where I know I won't get hung for saying it. Come to think of it, didn't you get crap on the same board because they thought you were me?
PA tractor forum - Login
Yea, there is some real Dandy's on that pathetic site. If you tell them you do this stuff for a living they get mad because they cant look good giving dumb advice anymore. It's usually the guys who can barely change oil in a lawn mower that seem to give the most advice on that site.

/ KAMA 454 valve lash adjustment #9  
schmalts said:
Yea, there is some real Dandy's on that pathetic site. If you tell them you do this stuff for a living they get mad because they cant look good giving dumb advice anymore. It's usually the guys who can barely change oil in a lawn mower that seem to give the most advice on that site.

I agree