K&N for 07 gmc 6.6d ?

/ K&N for 07 gmc 6.6d ? #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
K&N makes 2 options. an oe shaped repalcement filter.. and one that repalces trhe airbox/intake runner.

obviously the oe shaped repalcement is easier ..

any advantage to it?

boss at work drives one and a super drives one.. and someone told them it was the 'thing' to do.

I only have limited exp with K&N.

My 450 has the performance large intake on a 7.3l that was done courtesy of the prev owner.. I chose to keep it that way.. whereas my 350 has the oe style filter. both 99 7.3's.

anyone got that gm diesel that has used both? can comment?

I got no dog in the hunt. not my trucks, not my $$... I'm just the guy that has to go order them and install them if they want them. :) :)

/ K&N for 07 gmc 6.6d ? #2  
Just put the drop in filter in. The 07 and later Dmax already breathes good and there is very little room for improvement. My 05 Dmax on the other hand was awful.

Save the paper filter so you can take out the K&N once a year and service while still being able to drive the truck.

Chris

/ K&N for 07 gmc 6.6d ?
thanks, that's what I'll tell them to do.

/ K&N for 07 gmc 6.6d ? #4  
I have the OEM style in my 6.0 gas chevy, and it flows something like 15% better than stock, but the cone style flows more like 33% better, but requires more modification and costs more. Not quite apples to apples, but...

/ K&N for 07 gmc 6.6d ?
funny thing is.. on the gmc 6.6 diesel.. the oe air filter IS cone shaped and looks very much like te conversion K&N. IE.. the conversion K&N and the K&N oe replacement are both a cone shaped filter. :)

/ K&N for 07 gmc 6.6d ? #6  
Personally I wouldn't put a K&N filter in anything.

Either use stock filter or a larger filter. Not one that uses the stock filter housing, yet promises higher flow.

/ K&N for 07 gmc 6.6d ? #7  
K&N's are more about the economics to me, not just higher flow. I've used them for a long time without any issues. You do need to pay attention to how much you oil them.

But....if I drove thousands of miles per year on dusty gravel roads I might reconsider. I do believe it's true that the cotton gauze does let more dirt in than a paper filter. The hard part is quantifying that in terms of longevity. Does it take your engine from 300k miles down to 150k? Or from 300k down to 290k. I have a feeling it's closer to the latter if at all.

/ K&N for 07 gmc 6.6d ? #8  
I wouldn't spend the money on a k &n the stock filter out flows a k & n

/ K&N for 07 gmc 6.6d ? #9  
Back in the 7.3 days we were allowed to void the engine warranty if they had a drop in K&N. they don't filter as well. The cylinder walls were sandblasted.

/ K&N for 07 gmc 6.6d ? #10  
Back in the 7.3 days we were allowed to void the engine warranty if they had a drop in K&N. they don't filter as well. The cylinder walls were sandblasted.

If the aftermarket filter gets over-oiled the air mass sensor will be coated and not report the proper amount of air to the engine control module. Some air mass sensors can be cleaned and brought back to life, some are ruined. I've seen many ruined sensors that negated the effect of the high flow air filter because they were over serviced and the customer had to replace the ruined air mass sensor. I have removed many aftermarket air filters for this reason.

Also anytime a complete intake is installed (cold air intake) the air mass sensor SHOULD be recalibrated with the use of tuning software. Intake resonators are installed for a reason, sometimes removal of these during intake install makes drivability worse.

Volumetric Efficiency and Helmholtz Resonators in an Air Intake in an IC Engine

Consumer Warranty & Dealership Relations - Customer Experiences

Fred