just 'graduated' to 3/4" tools

/ just 'graduated' to 3/4" tools #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
just \'graduated\' to 3/4\" tools

Well.. so far I've been managing to get by using 1/2" tools on my tractor projects.

I finally picket up a 3/4" socket set ( 7/8 - 2" ) the other day.

Already put it to use. Man.. that ratched and breaker bar are massive. In places where a cheater pipe was flexing a 1/2 breaker bar.. this 3/4 job stays solid and lets me get another 1/4 turn on a fastener..e tc.

( it's a cheapy set.. course.. so is my 1/2" set that I've used for 5 years now.. cheater pipes and all ( never broke a socket or ratchet.. )

Soundguy

/ just 'graduated' to 3/4" tools #2  
Re: just \'graduated\' to 3/4\" tools

Congratulations on the new tools!

Since getting my tractor I have been upgrading my tools and toolbox. Got a good deal on a Craftsman 3-piece rolling mechanics chest. When I started putting my old tools in it, really seemed like a disservice. So, I now have an excuse and reason to get some new tools!

Been all over and on ebay quite a bit looking for deals. Haven't ran across many 3/4" sockets. That has got to be some real beasts. I would imagine that would be hefty with little flex. Sure could have used those (or an air ratchet /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif) when I had to remove the front wheel a while back.

/ just 'graduated' to 3/4" tools #3  

Many moons ago, I worked in a factory that produced miniature versions of Cinncinnatti Milicron industrial robots. They were for training aids in tech schools. It was about as much fun as a 70 hour a week job could be. (SARCASM LIGHT FLASHING)

I LOVED the job, and despised the contemptuous owners of the company. (Father, mother, two sons, and a daughter) They could do no wrong, and we couldn't do ENOUGH... Working 10 hours a day, seven days a week, I got chastised for going home one sunday night FOR MY SONS FIRST BIRTHDAY PARTY..... (This didn't set well with me, nor most of the rest of the employees)

They had no tools to speak of. They attemted to persuade employees to buy their own, but that met with limited success.

I approached them one day with "a plan". Match (50%) of tool purchases for employees of 1 year or more. Set up a deal with the local Snap-On man. Most Snap-On buyers would purchase "on credit", putting employees in the position where they'd need to commit to staying on for the duration of the "loan" with Snap-On.....

They swallowed my idea, hook, line, and sinker!

I promptly went home and called a buddy that wanted an old '67 Chevy Nova SS I had in the garage. $4400 cash in hand, and THREE DAYS past my 1 year anniversary, I hooked up with the Snap-On salesman, and ordered $8800 worth of toolbox and tools. I walked in the office with invoice in hand, and Snap-0n man in tow. "I need a check for $4400"... You could here a pin drop in the place. If they said no, everyone there would have loaded up their tools at quitting time, and they knew it. I had 'em right where I wanted them.

They wrote the check.

5 days later, I got a better offer from someone else. Tools left 2 weeks later.

I felt MUCH better about the "birthday incident".

Long story short... I have more and better tools than most full-time mechanics.

There is no such thing as too many tools.

/ just 'graduated' to 3/4" tools #4  

Soundguy, you know the next thing you are going to want is that 3/4' impact gun. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif The 3/4" drive sure is nice, and you shouldn't have any trouble with them with so much metal in the sockets they don't see to be prone for cracking.

/ just 'graduated' to 3/4" tools

I'm still using a 3/8 air ratchet.. mainly because of limited air supply. It's great for spinning lug nuts off.. mower bladebolts on the rider and push mower.. and alternator pulley nuts.. etc.

Soundguy

/ just 'graduated' to 3/4" tools #6  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( a 3/8 air ratchet )</font> ????

I would assume you break them loose, and tighten them by hand, since a ratchet of that size isn't going to have enough torque to get them started. And using a ratchet to break nuts or bolts loose is what provided a great deal of my business of repairing air tools. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I got to replace lots and lots of ratchet heads. One customer, who owned a body shop, hired teenagers to help with the dissassembly of damaged vehicles, and they busted the anvil off a half inch Snap-on ratchet 3 times in less than a year. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ just 'graduated' to 3/4" tools #7  

Good place for "cheapie" but still OK and usable tools, Harbor Freight. You have to be a little bit careful what you buy, and it's best if you can go to one of their stores and see the stuff yourself, but especially on this bigger stuff, their prices can't be beat, and the stufff is really OK for the use.
Also, if they have them in your area, Cummins Tools, same caveats apply.........
Other than that, the best place if you don't want Snap On quality or prices is good ol Sears, lifetime replacement, and if you watch the sales, you can get some good buys.

/ just 'graduated' to 3/4" tools #8  

Right after hooking up to the 10 ft mower in the "little" of a pasture in Alabama, I very soon discovered the dire need for 3/4" tools. I was in a field a very long ways from home and bought a Sears set because of need, distance, timing and I like Sears hand tools. It is used a lot and is resident in my truck tool box. I was looking for a cheaper set like Harbour Freight, but, that was to far to travel and I needed it that night. I am happy with the set.
Leo

/ just 'graduated' to 3/4" tools #9  

<font color="blue">Good place for "cheapie" but still OK and usable tools, Harbor Freight. You have to be a little bit careful what you buy, and it's best if you can go to one of their stores and see the stuff yourself, but especially on this bigger stuff, their prices can't be beat, and the stufff is really OK for the use. </font>

Hey JagmanDave,

I 2nd that emotion. That's where I get all of my tools now. My last tool was a 3/8" Drill, keyless chuck, Variable speed/Reversible, Torque settings, 3000rpm, for 15 dollars. Just ordered a 30" Shop Fan with pedestal that extends up 84" for $90.

Thank God we have Harbor Freight, for this Poor Country Boy.

Get your tractors running &
Have a nice day,
Joe /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ just 'graduated' to 3/4" tools

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I would assume you break them loose, and tighten them by hand, since a ratchet of that size isn't going to have enough torque to get them started. )</font>

As you point out.. the 3/8 drive air gun is a tad on the weak side.. however.. for those pesky tasks like spinning the nuts off a reverse thread pulley.. or the nut off a mower blade.. it's a fine tool.

Soundguy