Just finished baling with my new equipment

/ Just finished baling with my new equipment #1  

WTA

Platinum Member
All of our hay is now in from our first cutting using all the new USED equipment I just got. Everything went pretty well. I found a New holland 116 mower conditioner in decent condition and my son and I fixed it up pretty well. It did blow a hose on me but only after I got out of the field thankfully. It did it in the driveway and just killed some grass on the gravel is all.

It ran right through the tall Bermuda and alfalfa like it was nothing though. I did hit one wet spot in the bermuda with the swather all the way out to my left side and it skidded behind me in the mud real fast and got the cutter bar all full of mud so we had to get out the firehose for that. What a mess. It didn't hurt anything though.

Last night, after just 24 hours on the ground, we baled the hay. I know that doesn't sound like much but believe me it was more than dry enough. 8 % moisture on average. I only raked a couple of the rows that were thin to combine them with another one. The rest I left on the ground just as the mower left it in a nice wind row. It was 105 in the shade yesterday with a mild wind and almost no humidity so that stuff dried super fast.
Also we didn't get anywhere near our usual yield because I couldn't afford the fertilizer for our first cutting. It makes a huge difference. I'll be buying the right amount today and getting it put down though probably tonight. It sucks when you have to make decisions on fuel and fertilizer based on price these days. I'm sure no farmer is happy with it.

The baler ran perfect. What I got was a Hesston 4570 model that is just a couple years old. The last owner was pretty hard on it I found out and had really messed it up. It looks like he crashed the needles into the stuffer. Both of them were brand new when I got it but that was all they did. Noone timed the machine or anything. Every adjustment on it that could be out was. One of the members here thankfully sent me copies of his manual last week so I could get everything adjusted right and that helped a lot. Yesterday morning I finally got my manual in but I had it ready to go by then.
I did have to make a 70 mile trip to our nearest hesston dealer yesterday morning for parts. It needed some new pickup tines, a couple of chain adjuster sprockets and I also wanted to put a moisture meter in it because we had such trouble last year with hay not drying properly. Last year it was taking about 5-7 days per cutting to get it even close to ready to bale and even then some of the bales were too wet.
It's really nice to be able to watch the moisture readings in the cab as the bales go out the back of the baler.

Anyway, a couple of our buyers biggest concern last year when someone else was baling my hay was the inconsistent bales and the sharp ends on the wires sticking out. Both of those problems are gone now. This one uses string and every bale that hit the ground weighed right at 60 pounds and looked perfectly consistent. They should all be a lot happier now.

/ Just finished baling with my new equipment #2  
Moisture sensor mounted on the baler? Pretty cool! I guess I have been living with my head under a rock. How much do these cost and where do they mount?

thanks
Mark

/ Just finished baling with my new equipment
The sensor is supposed to be mounted on the bale chute on the uncut side of the hay bale. I put mine right in front of the hydraulic cylinder in the back on the left side. It only cost about 250 bucks which I thought was a great deal compared to not knowing and throwing whole stacks of hay to the goats when I find a few moldy ones. Now when I see one go high on the meter I remember where that bale is and go give just that one to the goats.
I mounted the display on the door pillar to my right and the cable I strapped to the two hydraulic lines that go to my remotes on teh tractors. The cable is small enough to run through the bottom of my rear window without hurting the seal.
It's accurate too. I have a handheld meter already and they match readings perfectly. The one on the baler though rechecks several times a second and displays an average every two seconds. That can't be beat.
That hesston dealer I found was really nice. They have nearly every part there is in stock for my baler and will even do emergency farm calls. I probably would never need their mechanic but if I break down in the field they said they can have whatever parts I need to me in an hour. Last year we were always fighting against the clock with the rain storms so this will be a big help just in case and well worth the price it costs. After working as a mechanic at so many car and tractor dealers over the years it takes a lot to impress me and this dealer really did it.

/ Just finished baling with my new equipment #4  
WTA said:
The sensor is supposed to be mounted on the bale chute on the uncut side of the hay bale. I put mine right in front of the hydraulic cylinder in the back on the left side. It only cost about 250 bucks which I thought was a great deal compared to not knowing and throwing whole stacks of hay to the goats when I find a few moldy ones. Now when I see one go high on the meter I remember where that bale is and go give just that one to the goats.
I mounted the display on the door pillar to my right and the cable I strapped to the two hydraulic lines that go to my remotes on teh tractors. The cable is small enough to run through the bottom of my rear window without hurting the seal.
It's accurate too. I have a handheld meter already and they match readings perfectly. The one on the baler though rechecks several times a second and displays an average every two seconds. That can't be beat.
That hesston dealer I found was really nice. They have nearly every part there is in stock for my baler and will even do emergency farm calls. I probably would never need their mechanic but if I break down in the field they said they can have whatever parts I need to me in an hour. Last year we were always fighting against the clock with the rain storms so this will be a big help just in case and well worth the price it costs. After working as a mechanic at so many car and tractor dealers over the years it takes a lot to impress me and this dealer really did it.

Who make your moisture meter? Sounds like something I need to get for my recently acquired MF-124 two-twine baler.

This one is made by farmex and it's a BHT-1 model. I found it at the agco dealer here where I got my baler parts.

/ Just finished baling with my new equipment #6  
Congratulations on your first cutting with your equipment set, sounds like it was successful!

Chet.

/ Just finished baling with my new equipment #7  
Do you have any pictures?

/ Just finished baling with my new equipment #8  
pengs68 said:
Do you have any pictures?
Yeah where the heck are the pics? :D

I was way too busy to take pictures. You wouldn't want to see any from today either when we finished stacking. I went to buy a hundred gallons of diesel at the gas station for the tractor last night and filled it up and the engine promptly died on me. It was pregelled fuel I got. Now it's only fit for the parts washer.
I just can't figure how that happened in 105 degree weather. It took me and a mechanic from the NH dealer almost the whole day to clean out the fuel system and get my almost new tractor going again. I was not happy today! At least the dealership didn't charge me for the service call. It's under warranty and they are pretty nice over there.