Just bought a GC1720

/ Just bought a GC1720 #1  

kevsmach

Tractor
Ford 8n
Hi all!
Iam the proud owner of a New GC1720 that will be delivered Monday afternoon. I paid 16,250 for it but where I made out was on implements. My dealer really hooked me up. I made a list of implements from a couple of popular sites on internet and Tractor Supply etc. my dealer beat all of them by quite a bit. All of my implements but the Tooth bar and the Box Blade were made by Woods. The box Blade was all Galvanized and it was clearly heaver made than the Wood Box Blade.

They had $1000 off of the Mahindra EX and they had a Backhoe model in stock, but I just wasn't feeling it. The Mahindra does not have the quick loader set up for one and the labels were peeling and I had not really researched it. I strongly considered the New Holland 25s. It was slightly less money but I noticed something that that I had previously missed. If you look down very low on the left side of the tractor on the side of the trans axle you will find a spin on filter. It is about 3/4 exposed from the front but completely exposed from the back. I could imagine a stick popping up and stabbing it causing a major loss of trans axle oil and stranding you out in the middle of the woods. I also was thinking the dealer would say "it is misuse that caused it, you should not be driving over sticks or rocks" and then not cover it. I first noticed this issue on a LS tractor (they are the same as the New Holland as far I cant tell except for a slightly different shade of Blue.

I did consider the new Massey replacement tractor but as far as I can tell the horsepower and GPM are down a tad closer to the 1705. I am sure that is enough to do the job but when it was going to cost me about $500 more and I would have to wait for it to come in so I just went with the 1720. I did alot of research and I am confident I bought the right tractor. It is a machine and machines do break but I am a big believer in good maintenance. The 1720 has been out now for a few years and I think most of the Gremlins have been fixed by Massey, A new model may have some unforeseen issues, it seems they always do. One other thing my dealer said gave me a warm fuzzy was that if I were to have a warranty issue and I felt I could do the repair, he would just send me the part so I would not be down any longer than necessary. He also said if I get into it and realized I am in over my head to just bring it in and he would take care of it. I am sure he is talking simple stuff like a bad cylinder or hose etc.

I guess I have rambled enough I am glad to be in the Massey club. I will see you all later!

/ Just bought a GC1720 #2  
:welcome:
To the TBN forum and congrats on your new tractor.

/ Just bought a GC1720
Thank you and thanks for your service!

/ Just bought a GC1720 #4  
Congrats on the new tractor. You will soon wonder how you did without it. Great little tractor.

/ Just bought a GC1720 #5  
Look at my posts to see a lot of crazy things this tractor can do! (Log splitting, house backup generator, Boulder management, patio building, trench work, root removal, pallet moving.....anything and everything this tractor rocks! I’ve beat the crap out of it, had it for 18 months and have 280 hours I think now. I have been religious about maintenance but I multiply x2 for any load limits it states are “maximum” lol!

/ Just bought a GC1720 #7  
Welcome to TBN kevsmach, and congrats on your new tractor.

What other implements did you get with your tractor?

KC

/ Just bought a GC1720
Sorry all for the delayed response. I had a accident and was in the hospital for a couple of weeks. I am pretty much ok except for the left arm which was pretty well messed up. I am typing right handed and it is very slow.

I will follow along with pix as as possible. I bought the following options: Quick change loader, Tooth bar, Woods 5' Tiller, 5', 48" forks with the quick change set up, 5' Scrape Blade, 4' box blade, Post Hole drill with the the Sub-Compact tractor set up for the 3 point attachment, a 5' Rock Rake.
I think that is it but I have lots of plans

/ Just bought a GC1720 #9  
Hey kevsmach,

Sorry to hear about your accident, wish you a full and speedy recovery.

What is more important is your recovery, TBN should be much lower on anybody's list vs. health.

Also sounds like you will be busy later with projects using your implements.

KC

/ Just bought a GC1720 #10  
Sorry all for the delayed response. I had a accident and was in the hospital for a couple of weeks. I am pretty much ok except for the left arm which was pretty well messed up. I am typing right handed and it is very slow.

Sorry to hear that. I broke both bones that connect the leg to the ankle a couple weeks ago and I'm typing with one hand also because I can't sit comfortably otherwise.. Hope you heal up quickly..