Just arrived and hour meter is broken

/ Just arrived and hour meter is broken
Yes, I would ask that question. As a perfect example; he mentions blades, spark plugs, ect. I would ask about belt and spindles, as those are not directly mentioned. If it shows up with a very worn (but not missing/broken) belt, he should be covered. It works, and he made no claim those where in good shape.

Also, Ebay, was a definition of used vs parts/repair, and they enforce a return policy if not accurate. Fully Operation... that doesn't mean it doesn't sound like a helicopter from bad bearings, and the hour meter has no affect on 'full operation'. If I was buying this mower; 100%, I would want to ask questions.View attachment 822151
I beleive in honor and integrity in business dealing. I don't think I would do business with you, sir.

As for my tractor. They admitted culpability and apologized for the problem. There was a miscommunication in their lisiting/intake area and that's what led to the listing be in error. They are working on a resolution.

/ Just arrived and hour meter is broken #162  
Been following the thread for a while and I was watching responses. And unless I missed it, as a hobby user myself, I use the working hour meter to keep track of maintenance records and whatnot. I can see a huge farmer knowing a routine to change oil/hydraulic fluid, grease the fittings etc. But an hour here or 8 there one day, I'm not writing that down after I'm finished for the day. I want to glance at the hour meter, refer to my records and go... hmmm... Time to do the oil next weekend. Not guess on when it might possibly may need done at some point.

I think if they have the previous owner and his records, a discount on maintenance supplies for a bit, and a working tach/hour meter seems fair. But I'm an easy going person too. So I never know if I'm getting a great deal or not. If the OP is happy, then enjoy the machine.

/ Just arrived and hour meter is broken #163  
Just saw a listing to sell a John Deere 1640 stating "flat back tire, missing window. Will need carburetor work and a battery I'm sure."

Let that one sink in.

/ Just arrived and hour meter is broken #164  
I beleive in honor and integrity in business dealing. I don't think I would do business with you, sir.

. . .
As do I. As well as in personal dealings. However I do not count on anyone I do not know well to always behave that way.

As our former President Ronald Reagan said, “Trust but verify.”

I don’t believe in the tooth fairy either.

/ Just arrived and hour meter is broken #166  
There is a Big difference between being dishonest, and pointing out the faults in something you're trying to sell. Selling your house, sure got legal obligations, but you wouldn't say, "Come July, this undersized AC isn't going to keep up". They can clearly look at the tonnage, and do their own thinking, or hire an inspector. I'm not saying hiding roof leaks with paint, But anything you sell, you point out the positive, and gloss over the negative.

When I sold my old Kubota recently, I hid nothing, battery is very weak, seat is rough, wiring a mess, and it starts/runs/hydralics work/gears work, and it could probably use a fluid change. Buyer asked, does the hour meter work? "Yes, and it has the whole time I owned it, but I can't say it always has". He notices and I was honest about new steering box/Pittman arm, new coolant, new water pump. If the radiator had straight water in it; is that something you should point out

Didn't mention the shifter boot leaks water in if left out in open rain. Is that dishonest? It's not concealed that the boot is dry rotted, and for a 1976, what do you expect. Minor fuel drips, minor hydralic drips, I didn't point out either. I dont call that dishonest.

What I consider dishonest is an open lie (it's never leaked a drop of oil), or an attempt to conceal a Known problem (bedliner on truck doors, covering spray foam filled rust holes; :) watched uncle in law do that). Removing a hydralic filter "core" to improve flow, knowing the pump is shot, that's dishonest. Rolling back hours/miles, dishonest. Not mentioning teenage son cut the cats of a truck, IDK, but if you cared, why didn't you crawl under there to check?

Is painting your old Yanmar green and yellow dishonest? Heck, is washing engine bay dishonest?

There is a Lot of grey in life; and I never called myself a Saint.

Just keep in mind, before anyone attacks, I'm probably more honest/open, than 75% of people reselling. These are people you will never see or talk too again, why would you feel they owe you honesty?

Last edited:
   / Just arrived and hour meter is broken #167  
Also, we have been focused on the Sellers morality; what about the Buyer? You go to an estate sale, and see a JD 4020, in good shape for $800. Do you have a moral responsibility to offer them a fair market value, even though they ask $800? Should you tell them to research the value, and leave? Should you tell the seller "I'll give you $650, but im posting it tomorrow for $4,000"

Is a pawn shop, that loans you $120 on a $800 rifle, morally wrong? Two consenting adults entered into that agreement...

/ Just arrived and hour meter is broken #169  
So, to be more helpful, gonna move over to another thread, and discuss.

/ Just arrived and hour meter is broken #170  
Perhaps another lesson would be, don't buy a machine without looking it over. If an hour meter is important to you, make sure it's working before buying. In many cases, it won't be. Most people who are used to dealing with older equipment know this. Hopefully this discussion will help those who are not as experienced.

Do you buy used cars without worrying about the mileage too? Exactly the same. I'm still kind of amazed how many guys on here act like it is not a big deal.

If I'm buying an M Farmall or a Ford 8n. Maybe I don't care as much, I'm spending $3k for it. But if I'm spending $30k for a tractor and I have ill regard for the # of hours, I think I would be the inexperienced one in the conversation.