Just another bogus phone call thread

/ Just another bogus phone call thread #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
For the past couple of weeks I"ve been finding 2-3 partial messages per day on my answering machine... their computer starts leaving a message before the "beep". Area code is in Maine, from a town about 150 miles from here.
All that I hear is "...Federal Law prohibits disclosing your account via automated message, if you have already attended to this please disregard. To speak to omebody, dial Zero."
Reverse lookup was useless (as usual) so I dialed *67, and the number on my caller ID.

It's a stinking automobile warranty clearinghouse. I'm not sure if it's still for my old 2004 Ranger, or the Colorado I just bought. But seriously... 3 bleeping calls per day?

/ Just another bogus phone call thread #2  
Computers dialing. It does not worry them, they are frauds if they are using such tactics.

/ Just another bogus phone call thread #3  
Computers dialing. It does not worry them, they are frauds if they are using such tactics.

ALL third party warranties are frauds.

/ Just another bogus phone call thread #4  
We’ve been trying to reach you concerning your vehicle warranty.......click.......block.

In my wishful thinking it’s......click.....boom! (Goes their computer)

/ Just another bogus phone call thread #5  
I get it too, and one of two versions. 1) they tell me it's my Toyota warranty that's about to expire and I've never ever had a Toyota or 2) they tell me my car warranty is about to expire for the new car I just bought and is still under mfgr warranty.

They quit calling about our other car when we told them it had 220,000 miles on it (it really did) and was 15 years old. "Sorry, no we don't cover vehicles like that, don't you have any others?"

/ Just another bogus phone call thread
I was just getting frustrated because I've been getting 1/2 of the message, several times per day so I had no idea what it was about. Did I overlook a bill sometime in the long-ago past, or did one of the final provisions of Ed McMann's will finally catch up to me, making me a millionaire? I actually thought it was dialing the wrong number, I apparently have somebody giving my number out to people who they don't want to talk to.

One of the reasons I went back to a land line was so that I would have my number in the book; I'm starting to rethink that strategy.

/ Just another bogus phone call thread #7  
Jstpssng, your number is not dialed by a person. It is a computer system just dialing numbers. They program in the area code, the prefix and the number to begin with and probably end with and turn them on. Say it begins with number 555-555-0000 then dials 555-555-0001 and so forth. There have been auto dialers out there for years. But for years they were not really abused and scams like we are seeing in last few years. Some, maybe many are not in the US so they can avoid US laws.

For those who really are targeting a certain type of or class of can get their information. For less then ten cents a person a business can buy list of any type of specs that is wanted. It is amazing who all sells our information. It has been told some state agencies such as DMVs do. In my business I can buy for again less than ten cents a name, phone number, house address, age, income range, gender, if you rent or own your home. That info is very typical and very accurate. I have little doubt they are able to buy such as type of autos the person owns and more. This is a big reason I have no rewards or membership cards for even grocery stores. Tell me why certain grocery stores will sell you their product for at least 10% less if you hold such a card? The loss in sales price has to be made up some other way. In my business we use three different email addresses. I have one we only use with companies we know we can trust and another we use with those we suspect sell info. It has paid off.

At least some loan companies must be big sellers or our info. There is a reason some banks make a big deal out of saying they never sell the customers info. Had a list rep tell us on occupations loans was how they gather the occupations.

For those turning age 65 wonder why they get so much info on Medicare Coverage and other items all beginning a few months before turning age 65. They is the most sold list there is. Why, many people make some major changes around this age.

/ Just another bogus phone call thread #8  
I could have sold my timeshare 100 times...if I had one.

I overheard Sharn Jean the other day; someone called wanting to sell us funeral an burial insurance. She told them she wouldn't be needing that kind of insurance; that if things continued on like they were going, she was going to be Raptured. I could tell the guy was kinda confused; turns out he was a Muslim. I think he hung up when she asked him if he knew about Jesus...and she was not being sacrilegious either.

/ Just another bogus phone call thread
Jstpssng, your number is not dialed by a person. It is a computer system just dialing numbers. They program in the area code, the prefix and the number to begin with and probably end with and turn them on. Say it begins with number 555-555-0000 then dials 555-555-0001 and so forth. There have been auto dialers out there for years. But for years they were not really abused and scams like we are seeing in last few years. Some, maybe many are not in the US so they can avoid US laws.

For those who really are targeting a certain type of or class of can get their information. For less then ten cents a person a business can buy list of any type of specs that is wanted. It is amazing who all sells our information. It has been told some state agencies such as DMVs do. In my business I can buy for again less than ten cents a name, phone number, house address, age, income range, gender, if you rent or own your home. That info is very typical and very accurate. I have little doubt they are able to buy such as type of autos the person owns and more. This is a big reason I have no rewards or membership cards for even grocery stores. Tell me why certain grocery stores will sell you their product for at least 10% less if you hold such a card? The loss in sales price has to be made up some other way. In my business we use three different email addresses. I have one we only use with companies we know we can trust and another we use with those we suspect sell info. It has paid off.

At least some loan companies must be big sellers or our info. There is a reason some banks make a big deal out of saying they never sell the customers info. Had a list rep tell us on occupations loans was how they gather the occupations.

For those turning age 65 wonder why they get so much info on Medicare Coverage and other items all beginning a few months before turning age 65. They is the most sold list there is. Why, many people make some major changes around this age.
I understand that. What I don't understand is why I'm suddenly getting several phone calls per day, as well as phone calls for somebody I've never heard of... at a number I'vehad for 5+ years.

I suspect the first is related to recently purchasing a new-to-me truck.

/ Just another bogus phone call thread #10  
I was just getting frustrated because I've been getting 1/2 of the message, several times per day so I had no idea what it was about. Did I overlook a bill sometime in the long-ago past, or did one of the final provisions of Ed McMann's will finally catch up to me, making me a millionaire? I actually thought it was dialing the wrong number, I apparently have somebody giving my number out to people who they don't want to talk to.

One of the reasons I went back to a land line was so that I would have my number in the book; I'm starting to rethink that strategy.

Private and unlisted! Being Retired, I don't need ringing phones from anyone, much less scams, salesmen or politicians.