Jubilee steering lubrication

/ Jubilee steering lubrication #1  

sashooter

Tractor
1953 Ford Jubilee 2020 Kioti CK 3510SE
On the naa tractors I noticed reading the lubrication and maintenance that there is a place to add gear lube for the steering assembly. I looked inside the hood area and found what looked like a plug on the right side of tractor. It looked like maybe a quarter inch plug.

Is this where you add oil? If so do you fill it to where it is level with the plug?

/ Jubilee steering lubrication
Soundguy. I was hoping you could respond to my question here. Searching threads on here you really know quite a bit about these ford tractors.

/ Jubilee steering lubrication #3  
right side of tractor? that doesn't sound like the steering box to me!

the steering box is in 2 basic pieces. a cast body and a tube top column with a small cast base. the tube top with small base sets atop the main steering box body. that cast top has a plug in it, remov ethat plug and fill with lube.

Original lube was gear oil ( or heavy 50w motor oil ). if the sector seals leak, the gear oil will leak out. You can put in nlgi #00 grease ( many mower shops sell it in a quart squeezy tube bottle ). Ford went the 'thin grease' route in 1962 with a service bulletin.

Some people just remove the plug and put in a large grease zerk fitting so they can pump the grease in there. pumping it in, lets you not only fill the lower csavity, but lets you pump the steering column full till it extrudes out under the steering wheel a bit. then you know all 3 bearings are lubed.

/ Jubilee steering lubrication #4  
3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

here is a pic of a ford 2000 steering box, it is VERY similar to the naa steering box. see where there is a grease zerk i circled in red. that used to be a plug. your naa will be 'close'

Ok thanks. I should of said right side of upper top half of steering assembly. It does look basically like yours. If I put a zerk on it seems like I could just use any wheel bearing grease then?

When you say sectors do you mean the arms that come out of the steering assembly and connect to the pitman arms?
If so looks like there is some oil leaking a little down on the bottom of the steering assembly.

Or should I look for #00 grease for a grease gun. I will look for some.

/ Jubilee steering lubrication #7  
Sector shaft has sector arms.

Don't use #2 grease, it will cavitate. You can buy #0 grease un tubes, ir manually load your gun with 00 from the squeeze bottle.