John Deere won't start

/ John Deere won't start #1  

3Ts

Elite Member
Tractor
Case, Kubota, John Deere
Started up my JD 5055e drove it up to my shop to remove the 3ph to install the backhoe. Shut it off, removed the 3ph equipment and went to restart it. Nothing! I know about the cold start sensor at the front of the engine and that's been unplugged for years now. Thought the battery might be low so I recharged it. Still nothing. I took the battery in to have it tested and it tests good. I put it in my Kubota and it starts the Kubota just fine, so I don't think it's the battery. When I put it in the JD again, turn the key to on, the dash lights come on. Turning the key to start I get a click and the dash lights go out and the starter does not even attempt to turn over. I turn the key to off, then back to on and the dash lights do not come on.

I do not have an electrical diagram and am at a loss as to where to even look. The dash lights not coming back on doesn't make sense to me.

/ John Deere won't start #2  
I suggest to clean/tighten ground cable connection at tractor frame. Another possibility is battery cables have corrosion hidden under cable insulation. I suggest to attempt using jumper cables to by-pass tractors original battery cables.

/ John Deere won't start
Thanks, I'll try the jumper cable idea. I've redone the ground cable and attachment point just a little earlier, the bolt itself became non-conductive.

/ John Deere won't start #4  
One thing that I like to do is to turn the ignition on, then jump across the starter solenoid.

startermarked-jpg.831346

Sometimes just a screwdriver to go from the "hot" to the ignition contact. Or, sometimes a wire from the battery hot to the ignition terminal.

If that fails, then go through and check all the main cables from the battery to the starter, and from the battery to the ground.

/ John Deere won't start #5  
If the lights die out its alwats a loose or corroded cable. Ohm out the cables. also, place tester at furthest point on cables and check voltage while trying to crank.

/ John Deere won't start #6  
this post also may help. It works on jd units also

/ John Deere won't start
The problem is solved. I have a loader on the tractor and the starter is hidden behind the frame of the loader so is very difficult to get to and it has shields over the terminals. I stopped in at the JD dealer and talked to the service folks describing what was happening 'cause I wanted it fixed and did not want to take a bunch of stuff apart to get to the starter so I was going to have them come and get it. Not sure of the guys position at the dealership but he told me that the symptoms on the particular tractor I had would be 99% terminal corrosion, but not the "normal" corrosion. He referred to black corrosion. I always use a wire brush or sandpaper to clean the terminals, he said to use a rat tail file to clean the connectors. Hmmmm....ok. I've never had a problem with a wire brush and sandpaper before, but it's easy to try. Came home, got my wire brush and sandpaper out and recleaned the terminals. But the lead wasn't shiny like it should be??? So I got a file and worked on the terminal clamps. Put it all together and it started right up.

/ John Deere won't start #9  
Congratulations on correcting the electrical problem & getting your tractor engine started