JOhn Deere won’t move

/ JOhn Deere won’t move #1  

paulfun9

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40
As some might already know I am stuck doing all the chores while my husband is away taking care of a sick family member. I don’t want to bother him with problems and issues that arise here on the home front. So I have started posting on some of the sites he frequents to try and attain some help and insight with things I am not that great with.

This morning as I started to get ready fo a day of cleaning up along the tree line with one of our tractors it just didn’t want to cooperate. It’s a John Deere 755 that we have had for many years and is the smallest of them. We use it for cleaning up the tree line out back because it’s able to get in between trees and such that the others simply don’t fit and works great for picking up the fallen branches and rip out excess overgrowth with the grapple.

Anyway this morning I hooked up our dump trailer and parked out back, went to the barn and when I started the tractor it wasn’t working as it normally does. The loader seemed to hesitate and rise in a bouncing manner. Before it even reached a height good to clear as you back out, just quit moving completely. I tried moving it and it started to move then shuddered and stopped.

I guess I am hoping it’s something simple that Can be fixed easy, but just have no clue where to start. My guess is I won’t be able to fix it without help from someone that is better with tools. So I guess what I’m asking is does anyone have a clue what might be possible causes or has it just outlived itself?
Leave it alone? Call the local young lad that is willing to try and fix anything and give some Ideas on what needs done? Use one of the other tractors to push it onto a trailer and haul it to the dealership, and pray they use some Vaseline when they screw me you know where?

If I had at least an idea of what could be wrong it would be an easy choice.

Thank You for any help
Janet

/ JOhn Deere won’t move #3  
I’m not real familiar with your tractor but make sure nothing is trying to use the hydraulics. An example would be the three point trying to raise up when it’s already all the way up or the button for the grapple trying to close when it’s already closed.

/ JOhn Deere won’t move
Already checked all fluid levels, also changed filters. Not really good at this stuff but not totally incompetent.

Grapple isn’t on yet and everything else checked. 3 point is down and won’t raise at all. Seems I have nothing not even the PTO rear or mid. Just sits there running but won’t do anything not even power steering.

Janet

/ JOhn Deere won’t move #5  
Is there a show of fluid on the ground where
the tractor was parked?? If yes then I would
check to see if you can find the leak or busted
hydraulic line

willy

/ JOhn Deere won’t move #6  
Is their a positive between the engine and transmission?
Should say positive connection like a drive shaft.

Last edited:
   / JOhn Deere won’t move #7  
Janet
When you trying to raise loader and it stopped did steering also stop at the same time?

Reason for asking is that looking at parts diagram that model has single pump that provides flow for all the functions. The pump feeds a valve block that divides the flow between steering and rest of functions.

I believe transaxle is totally separate functionally from hydraulic system so hopefully someone that knows this model of tractor can provide additional information on what could cause both systems to fail.

Last edited:
   / JOhn Deere won’t move
Egon
Ok I am a little puzzled why there would be positive between the engine and transmission. As far as I understand when speaking about positive and negative you would be talking about electricity as in the positive or ground cable. As stated it starts and engine runs fine, what it does not do is have working loader, transmission, rear pto, mid pto or power steering. My understanding is the only thing that might not work due to electric issues would be the PTO but am fairly sure that’s not the issue because engine starts fine, lights work, all lights on the dashboard come on as they should and the flashers on the fenders work fine.

Oldnso
I honestly don’t know.
The loader started hoping as I tried to raise it and then it just stopped. It didn’t fall down on its own but dummy me lowered it to try again then it stopped moving at all. I didn’t even think to try the steering just went right into gear to see if it would move. It started to move backward a couple feet then started to feel wierd so I tried going forward and it stoped moving almost as soon as I started ( backward about 2 feet then forward about 1).

At that point I checked for fluid leaking by getting off and really looking under it better but didn’t see any. Started it again and tried the PTO and steering and they did not work at all.

Even though I check all fluids before starting any tractor, I checked everything again then decided to try simply changing the filter for the hydraulics. It had no effect. I didn’t think this was an engine problem so I didn’t touch the oil filter or air filter.

There are still no leaks or puddles of any fluid under it, nothing is spraying out like when I busted a line on the loader 20 years ago.

Thank You
Janet

/ JOhn Deere won’t move #9  
Janet
I hope someone with more knowledge of the 755 will chime in and confirm or deny my thoughts based on looking at parts diagrams.

1) Hydrostatic transmission has its own charge pump and and charge filter separate from FEL and steering pump.
2) FEL and steering pump are same single pump and draw oil from transaxle through a screen style filter inside the transaxle.

Question is the screen also inlet to charge pump? I can’t tell from parts diagram. If yes then if plugged would explain both main pump and HST not working. To me this a long shot but just trying to determine what is common to both circuits.

/ JOhn Deere won’t move
So if we can find someone to confirm that? Then we know what? Does the tractor have to be torn apart (split as they say) to fix it?
Not sure it’s worth that kind of work, time, money. It’s Ben here a long long time maybe I can find a nice replacement and scrap this one.

I used a come along from the roll over bar to lift the bucket up far enough to be able to pull it out of the barn in the morning. Have to move it because our Kioti is parked behind it. That’s the next smallest tractor so I need to use it to get at the clean up project, Just too old to do this by hand anymore. I think between the grapple on the Kioti and maybe using the backhoe to reach in where it won’t fit I might stand a good chance of getting everything I want cleared out.

By the way do you have a link to the proper parts diagram? Maybe my neighbor or someone can decifer it.

Thank You
Janet