John Deere tractor sizes

/ John Deere tractor sizes #1  

IH3444

Veteran Member
Does anyone know, or have heard at a dealer meeting if John Deere is going to offer a tractor the size of the 455 again. I find that the X740 is a much larger machine that the 455 of yesteryears. Am I wrong, or have these most excellent tractors been growing in size a bit?

/ John Deere tractor sizes #2  
Yes, I was looking at an X720 yesterday, and they do seem to have grown over time. There also seems to be a huge difference between the X500 series, and the X700's. The larger tractor is nice, but the larger you go the larger the deck has to be for trimming, etc. I can remember wanting a 318, and that was a much smaller tractor.

/ John Deere tractor sizes #3  
I find that my L130 is large enough in physical size and the 48" cut works out well. It seems you have to move up substancially to get to a rider that is dependable and well made though. I have considered moving into a X748 or X749 for my mowing but I think my trees would need some thinning to use it.

I may have to research putting a K58 in my mower or rebuild the existing K46 and sell it next year or so.