Quick Hitches John Deere quick hitch removal?

/ John Deere quick hitch removal? #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
Recently purchased a JD 5100e for farm building. It's working great thus far.

There is a back blade available from a friend, but it doesn't work with the geometry of the quick hitch on my tractor. Cat 2 system. I've never before had a quick hitch and thus never thought about varying geometry of implements. I suspected that everything was standard and would 'fit'. Lesson learned.

I'd still like to use the blade, since I have some road work to do. And I'm willing to remove the qh but... I don't see a real way to do so. I can't set it on the ground, so I suspect it has to be set on blocks to be removed.

It's not even getting it off... It is that I'd like to be able to put it back on without a hernia.

Any thoughts? I'm not seeing any info online, which helps me with the situation.

And separately... Is 'fitting' this to equipment this difficult typically? I added it to my purchase because I thought it would be helpful, but I'm thinking I might have just made my life harder in finding implements and connecting them.

image.jpeg

/ John Deere quick hitch removal? #2  
I use a box on a furniture dolly (harbor freight for about 15 bucks) to support the QH during installation or removal.
You want to remove the lower link pin cotter keys and tap the pins out a bit (but don't remove them!), then lower the QH to the box (or what ever support you come up with) to take the weight. Once on the support (box), remove the pins and upper link pin and roll the QH away from the tractor.
Without such a support, removal and installation of a QH is one of those "three handed" jobs.
As far as use of the QH, as long as the implement is manufactured to meet the ANSI spec, shouldn't be much of a problem (other then you still have to hook up the PTO drive shaft). Not all implements are built to the ANSI spec...especially older ones. Frequently, with older implements, the lower link spacing or the relationship between the lower and upper links aren't to spec. My Woods 5000 chipper isn't QH compatible, as an example. In those cases, you either modify the implement or just tough it out.