John Deere Model B vs Farmall Super C?

/ John Deere Model B vs Farmall Super C? #1  

Olympus

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS R3039
To piggyback off another thread here, I'm looking for a strictly "fun" vintage tractor. Needs to be something small, but bigger than say a Farmall Cub. I'm a big guy and don't want to look like I'm driving an oversized lawnmower. Main purposes would be going to tractor shows, driving in parades, pulling small hayrides, etc.

I've narrowed it down to the John Deere Model B (either unstyled or early styled) or the Farmall Super C. I don't really want to spend more than $2500 though. I like the Model B because I love that 2-cylinder lope. I'm not much of a mechanic either, and it seems like the Model B is pretty straightforward and simple design. However, I also like the smooth running Farmall Super C as well. Just worried that it might be more complicated than I'm experienced with. Also, I don't really have a need for hydraulics and just seems like it might be one more thing to leak and go bad.

I don't have a lot of shop room, but I have a nice covered lean-to on the backside of my shop that would have plenty of room. The tractor would be covered and out of the sun for all but the morning hours of the day.

/ John Deere Model B vs Farmall Super C? #2  
I would certainly go with the John Deere B, but my luck with red tractors has been poor. It has considerably less hp than the red one, but you should be able to find one cheaper and it is less complicated.

/ John Deere Model B vs Farmall Super C? #3  
If I needed a tractor to use the Super C win's hands down. If I wanted a toy any "Popping Johnny" would be my first choice.
Complicated? I've seen farmers repairing both on a turn row rather than take it home first. I suggest joining an enthusiest club where experienced owners show one another how to repair and maintain.

/ John Deere Model B vs Farmall Super C?
If I needed a tractor to use the Super C win's hands down. If I wanted a toy any "Popping Johnny" would be my first choice.
Complicated? I've seen farmers repairing both on a turn row rather than take it home first. I suggest joining an enthusiest club where experienced owners show one another how to repair and maintain.
Yeah, I'm not looking to do any "real" work with it. Just for show and play.

/ John Deere Model B vs Farmall Super C? #5  
I'm biased toward the Super C

/ John Deere Model B vs Farmall Super C? #7  
I prefer the Super C, particularly with the fast hitch. I do like the B, but my favorites are the 1948-52 with the cushion seat and powr-trol. The last models (1952?) had the improved carburetor (s) and were basically a 50.

/ John Deere Model B vs Farmall Super C? #8  
For sound, I'd take the green tractor, for ABSOLUTELY everything else, I'd take the red tractor.

SR
Pretty much. And a lot of unstyled and early styled Bs will be hand start. I know a guy that always said if a tractor had a starter and battery it was too new for him. But that's not me.

/ John Deere Model B vs Farmall Super C? #9  
I prefer the Super C, particularly with the fast hitch. I do like the B, but my favorites are the 1948-52 with the cushion seat and powr-trol. The last models (1952?) had the improved carburetor (s) and were basically a 50.
Duplex carburetion came along with the 50, 60 and 70.
The "cyclone" A and B referred to cylinder head design.

/ John Deere Model B vs Farmall Super C? #10  
The problem with a B, like my A, is that they improved the design so much over its lifetime that many parts aren’t the same. As long as you’re aware of that and buy parts within that serial number range, you’ll be fine. The A & B were wildly popular (like the Super C)so there’s a great supply of new and used parts.