John Deere B

/ John Deere B #1  

mowingcorey

Tractor
Yanmar 1401D
My father-in-law has a 1943(?) John Deere B that has just been sitting in his tool shed for a number of years now. I am thinking about asking him if I could buy it to restore. What is something like this worth? I know is doesn't have a 3 point, but could one be added? What are some of the basic specs of this tractor - horsepower, etc? Thanks for any help you can offer. It's a okay looking tractor that I would be just for play.

/ John Deere B #2  
You might want to try over at yesterdaystractors.com. They have a good JD forum and old tractors is their specialty. tractortips.com should have the weight/HP, etc for it.

Ben

/ John Deere B #3  
Depending on exact year and options could be a wide range of specs.

Wheel centers ( stamped steel.. or cast iron ) will make a big weight difference. Some can be as high as 4000#.. with cast centers, and wide (optional) fronts.

about 28-ish hp And some units had the rocker arms for power-troll.. that could be used to make a 3pt lift, if you can find the link arms and lower lift arms.. or if you want to make them yourself.. etc.. just some welding and bolting.

Also, there are a few people that make heavy 3pt lift kits for old farmalls, allis chalmers and JD's. they advertise int he antique tractor books.

That unit should have hyd remotes on the rear cover.

Could have a 4spd tranny.. or a 6, again.. depending on exact year, electric start, etc. Styled or unstyled metal.. etc.

I have a 1950 B. JD likes the price of those green parts. The filters are still available at most JD parts counters.. no special order or anything.. it uses a standard cartridge. When you cahnge the oil the first time boy will you be surprised. the oil filter goes in thru the bottom of the tractor under the engine!

A manual is available in cd or book form for about 90 bucks. Intertec also makes a manual for servicing the B at TSC, and other farm stores.

a20626.jpg

Soundguy

/ John Deere B
Soundguy,
Thanks for the information. I will do some research on the web within the next few days. For a 1943 B that hasn't run for 10-12 years, what would be a fair price to offer?

/ John Deere B #5  
Mostly I see high resale value even in non runners, provided they are not trashed, and have free engines.

Id guess somewhere in the 1800-2800 range depending on the work it needed. ( if it needs points and an oil change/ gas to make it run.. the hiher. If it's free but no cranky-cranky.. lower. If the motor's stuck, but otherwise looks good and complete .. perhaps less... say 1200-1500. If it's a total basket case.. 800-1100. $500 and down for burned units and parts tractors.. etc.

Soundguy

/ John Deere B
Thanks again for the info. This is a picture of the tractor.

Attachments

• 623656-JDB2.jpg
    623656-JDB2.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,101
   / John Deere B #7  
Boy that one looks good! I'd drain/replace the oil, flush the radiator, drain and replace the gas, clean the oil/air filter, pop in a coupla new plugs and I'd bet she'd run like NEW. Guess I'd also pull the plugs, squirt some motor oil in the cylinders, and hand roll it over several time to lub the cylinder walls--I was getting too excited to hear it run!

I bought a 49 JD model M that had lived outdoors all its life. It ran ok, but was the color of RUST.

Enjoy it if you can buy it.

Ron

/ John Deere B #8  
Your John Deere B is newer than 1943. This style came out in 1947. The pressed steel frame is one notable feature.

/ John Deere B #9  
Styled and all. More similar in age to my 1950 i would guess.

To the original poster.. check by your magneto on the right side of the tractor.. just ahead of your right foot.. magneto is a wico type C if oem.. anyway.. there is a sn plate by it you can look up yor age with. post the sn.. I'll get your year..

Soundguy

/ John Deere B #10  
What year did they change from the pan to the padded seat? I have seen some styled B's with spoked wheels, when did they stop doing that? I have always wanted a B, even though I don't have much place to run it. My brother had a 50 when I was little. That hand clutch was sure something!