John Deere 770 diesel/oil issue

/ John Deere 770 diesel/oil issue #1  

Mattyboy93

Tractor
John Deere 770
I’ve got a John Deere 770 and just did an oil change.. oil was black as the night but thin like water.. smelled like burnt oil maybe a slight slight dent of diesel... replaced the oil and drove it a little and it seems thin again... what could be the issue? Injector pump?

/ John Deere 770 diesel/oil issue
To add to this.. tractor seems to run fine to me. No hesitation or missing feelings/sounds

/ John Deere 770 diesel/oil issue #3  
How many hours?

MOST diesels have their oil black as black in no time at all.

You using 15w40?

/ John Deere 770 diesel/oil issue #4  
Is it blowing smoke from the stack when running? What does the temp gauge read when its running?

If the machine is run seldom and only for short stints, it can never warm up and burn off what normally accumulates. For that matter, if it never gets up to temperature, cold running will do that too. I had to replace my thermostat in mine because it failed open. I changed the coolant, hoses and thermostat with factory parts a few years ago.

I typically run a synthetic 5w-40 (Rotella) in the 770. Mine has always smoked a little at start and when cold, but once it warms up now, it clears up.

How many hours?

MOST diesels have their oil black as black in no time at all.

You using 15w40?

Hours are right around 5300 hours. It was used on a horse ranch every day to haul manure and hay.

It’s the JD turf guard 15w40 off the top of my head.

The color of the oil may have been irrelevant to the topic lol it wasn’t changed in a while but was thin when changed.

Is it blowing smoke from the stack when running? What does the temp gauge read when its running?

If the machine is run seldom and only for short stints, it can never warm up and burn off what normally accumulates. For that matter, if it never gets up to temperature, cold running will do that too. I had to replace my thermostat in mine because it failed open. I changed the coolant, hoses and thermostat with factory parts a few years ago.

I typically run a synthetic 5w-40 (Rotella) in the 770. Mine has always smoked a little at start and when cold, but once it warms up now, it clears up.

Only smokes a little at startup and only recently got it and did a fluids change on it.. so it has only seldomly been used.. especially since I’ve noticed the issue. It’s also blowing the fuel/oil mix out onto the power steering cylinder and ground when driving coming either from the crank pulley or looking it up maybe the blow out tube?? I want to look that. I have a feeling that issue is happening due to this issue

/ John Deere 770 diesel/oil issue #7  
I use JD oil in everything. Never knew they had an ECO friendly Engine Oil. Not often you loose your Engine oil by accident. Why not go Plus 50?

I use JD oil in everything. Never knew they had an ECO friendly Engine Oil. Not often you loose your Engine oil by accident. Why not go Plus 50?

I will check the bottle when I get home on the exact oil type it is. Definitely a JD 15w40

/ John Deere 770 diesel/oil issue #10  
Is the dipstick level increasing?
The fluid on the steering cylinder is most likely coming from the breather hose off the valve cover. It will emit some smoke, oil mist and water vapor.