John Deere 6400 starting fluid

/ John Deere 6400 starting fluid #1  

John Boy 68

Tractor
John Deere 6400
Wanting to know if I take out the heating unit on the intake can I try to start a 6400 on starting fluid. I can’t get to the injectors to loosen the lines and the electric pump stopped running. Replaced the pump but still air in lines. I don’t see any glow plugs so was going to start on starting fluid.

/ John Deere 6400 starting fluid #2  
Starting fluid is not recommended for a diesel engine. A diesel starts by compression not with a spark and starting fluid will fire too soon in the engine rotation. Follow the operator manual to properly bleed the lines. The procedure varies by tractor model.

/ John Deere 6400 starting fluid #3  
Wanting to know if I take out the heating unit on the intake can I try to start a 6400 on starting fluid. I can’t get to the injectors to loosen the lines and the electric pump stopped running. Replaced the pump but still air in lines. I don’t see any glow plugs so was going to start on starting fluid.
I have seen new less than one year old tractors get a ruined engine because they had an idea like you are having

/ John Deere 6400 starting fluid #4  
Even if using starting fluid were ok for your tractor, it is unlikely that will solve your problem.

Air in the injector lines will just continue to compress and decompress. The injectors can’t reach the pressure needed to inject unless the lines are free of air.

You are going to have to bleed your injector lines. As Roadworthy said, follow your instruction manual.

Last edited: