John Deere 55 series vs Ford 20 series Compact tractors

/ John Deere 55 series vs Ford 20 series Compact tractors #1  

Timberjack75

Tractor
Farmall super a
Looking at buying a compact tractor with FEL, grew up around tractors/heavy equipment. I put a lot of hours on a 855 when they first came out but that was years ago. Was wondering how the Ford 20 series compares as far as performance, durability, parts availability, serviceability, etc. I remember someone telling me that the 755,855 MFWD front axles can be problematic. Is one loader better than the other? Thanks

/ John Deere 55 series vs Ford 20 series Compact tractors #2  
I don't have an 855 but I do have a Ford 1720 and own and have owned older JDs and I will tell you that hands down the JDs have MUCH better parts availability. I do like my 1720 though it's a really good size for smaller chores

/ John Deere 55 series vs Ford 20 series Compact tractors #3  
All brands that are Japanese based compact will have parts availability issues. Old large American made tractors, typically 2wd do not.

/ John Deere 55 series vs Ford 20 series Compact tractors #4  
The John Deere 70 (670-1070) series, 90 series (790, 990) and 05 series (3005, 4005) would be more comparable with the Ford/New Holland 20 (1220-2120) series. The upper end of each the Ford/NH 20 series and JD 70 series offered synchronized transmissions. Ford/NH had the edge as they had a forward/reverse shuttle option.

JD 55 series were all hydro.

/ John Deere 55 series vs Ford 20 series Compact tractors
Thanks for your replies, the front end issues with the 55 series make me a little nervous but theyre 30+ years old at this point. Definitely want a hydro or shuttle. Was looking at the jd 4100-4200 as well. Kinda wanna stay away from e hydro. The fords look a little more beefy to me weight wise

/ John Deere 55 series vs Ford 20 series Compact tractors #6  
I run a John Deere 4200 at work. Its been a very reliable tractor, pushing 4,000 hours.

/ John Deere 55 series vs Ford 20 series Compact tractors #7  
I've had a Ford 1710 & 2120. Both great tractors, However parts availability now is a serious issue

Andy

/ John Deere 55 series vs Ford 20 series Compact tractors #8  
Thanks for your replies, the front end issues with the 55 series make me a little nervous but theyre 30+ years old at this point. Definitely want a hydro or shuttle. Was looking at the jd 4100-4200 as well. Kinda wanna stay away from e hydro. The fords look a little more beefy to me weight wise
I had a JD4100 for 22 years. A very reliable machine, but not beefy. I never had any mechanical failures with it except for leaking loader lift cylinders (which needed seals replaced). But it is light and not real stable. A great machine for light duty mowing, tilling, and light loader work. I wouldn’t buy one today because with a larger property, my needs have changed.

/ John Deere 55 series vs Ford 20 series Compact tractors
Are the front axles in the MFWD 4200-4300 more robust than 855-955? I hear some parts for front axles on 55 series are getting scarce at the dealers. I’m not adverse to salvage stuff or a machine shop. I agree weight is key