John Deere 455 Transaxle Leak

/ John Deere 455 Transaxle Leak #1  

PM Wells

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM 2402D - 1957 Farmall Cub - 1951 Farmall Cub - 1989 Ford 2810
I have leak on my John Deere 455 transaxle after it sits for while. So far I can't tell exactly where it is coming from. I have read about the possible places where they normally leak. It looks like it might be the oil filter area, but it is dry all around the filter. Could it be running out on a linkage and dripping off in the filter area, on the floor it looks like it is in front of the filter, so far I don't see the leak.

/ John Deere 455 Transaxle Leak #2  
Mine was leaking from the seal of the differential lock shaft. Follow the red pedal back to see where it goes in. If you can degrease the transaxle you could dry to see where the trail comes from easier, and if you are going to replace the seals it might as well be clean first anyway. I ended up replacing all the seals because they parts cost was so cheap and I was going to be in there anyway. You can do it!

/ John Deere 455 Transaxle Leak #3  
The differential lock seal, and hydro bypass lever o rings, and the two gaskets on the front of the unit are all possible leak points

/ John Deere 455 Transaxle Leak
Mine was leaking from the seal of the differential lock shaft. Follow the red pedal back to see where it goes in. If you can degrease the transaxle you could dry to see where the trail comes from easier, and if you are going to replace the seals it might as well be clean first anyway. I ended up replacing all the seals because they parts cost was so cheap and I was going to be in there anyway. You can do it!
Can you describe the steps to replacing the differential lock shaft seal? Do I need to drain oil level down some? did you have to lower transaxle to get to it?

Anyone else that has replaced the differential lock shaft seal on a John Deere 455, that would like to give a little info on the best way to do this replacement. Like most things we do seems there is always a way, a better way, and then the right way to do it. I have never worked on one of these, and rather not go the long way around trying to do it. Thanks for any help.

/ John Deere 455 Transaxle Leak #6  
Been awhile since I did one, but if I Remember correctly I removed the fenders, both rear tires. Tilted the fuel tank out of the way so I could get to the drive shaft bolts and the two hydraulic lines, Disconnected the hydro pedal linkage pin located on right side in front of rear tire, and the differential lock linkage after removing the rear hitch. Disconnected the pto solenoid wires, and then removed the mounting bolts on the axle and I think there is a couple of bolts on the front to prevent rotation. and then lifted the frame up after supporting the tranny on blocks.

I think from there two bolts holding a pivot for the differential mechanism and from there the seal came out. New seal just pressed in with fingers if I remember correctly

Been awhile since I did one, but if I Remember correctly I removed the fenders, both rear tires. Tilted the fuel tank out of the way so I could get to the drive shaft bolts and the two hydraulic lines, Disconnected the hydro pedal linkage pin located on right side in front of rear tire, and the differential lock linkage after removing the rear hitch. Disconnected the pto solenoid wires, and then removed the mounting bolts on the axle and I think there is a couple of bolts on the front to prevent rotation. and then lifted the frame up after supporting the tranny on blocks.

I think from there two bolts holding a pivot for the differential mechanism and from there the seal came out. New seal just pressed in with fingers if I remember correctly
Thanks for the infomation. I don't mind taking things off that needs to be removed, just wanted to make this repair as straight forward as possible. Do I need to drain the oil out before I t pull the old seal out, or will oil level be below the seal while it is just sitting?

/ John Deere 455 Transaxle Leak #8  
I think the normal level is above the seal but I would pull the seal and install the new one while a small amount leaks out and then top off the level. I don't remember it being a large leak with the seal out. Just seeps out.

/ John Deere 455 Transaxle Leak #9  
I drained mine to replace seals but only because I had just purchased the tractor and the previous owner had never changed it and the hour meter was passed due.

/ John Deere 455 Transaxle Leak #10  
You need to find the leak before you do anything. Diagnose. Don't waste your time and money replacing parts just to hope its fixed.
It may take a while to find the leak, as you said it has to sit a while before it shows itself.
As others have said, clean the area as best you can. Maybe dusting it with some flour will help you locate the problem.