John Deere 425 power question

/ John Deere 425 power question #1  

Riktar

Tractor
John Deere 4400
While looking over a 425 I am considering buying I engaged the 60" deck and it bogged down and killed the engine.

The owner said that the engine must be going at full throttle to avoid stalling the engine when engaging the deck.

So I did engage the deck at full throttle and while the engine kept running it seemed to bog down for a second or 2 before returning to full throttle.

Tired engine? Or do the 60 inch decks really put a load on the 425's engine?

/ John Deere 425 power question #2  
Sixty inch decks do put a terrific load on the engine when being engaged, but also when mowing. I did have a 54" Craftsman which behaved in a similar manner. It turned out it was only running on one cylinder. You might try to confirm both cylinders of this mower are actually running.

/ John Deere 425 power question #3  
Riktar
The 425's I've had require a touch of choke when engaging the 60" deck when cold engine. My 425 requires that when cold and starting the 54" deck with the power flow attached. Pretty normal with the 425's.
i.e. choke the same time as engaging PTO.

/ John Deere 425 power question #4  
While looking over a 425 I am considering buying I engaged the 60" deck and it bogged down and killed the engine.

The owner said that the engine must be going at full throttle to avoid stalling the engine when engaging the deck.

So I did engage the deck at full throttle and while the engine kept running it seemed to bog down for a second or 2 before returning to full throttle.

Tired engine? Or do the 60 inch decks really put a load on the 425's engine?
That's normal. they did that even when new...I bought 9 new ones. They all acted the same.

But, jump up to a 455 with the diesel engine and it will start the big deck at an idle. I had one of them also.

/ John Deere 425 power question
Thanks for the answers everybody! makes me feel better about the purchase.

Now I just have to work out some money issues!

But that's a post for a different forum... ;)

/ John Deere 425 power question #6  
You sure all your spindles turn freely? I bet something is wrong.

/ John Deere 425 power question #7  
Have a 425 w/60 in. deck. Per owners manual full throttle before engaging deck and yes it bogs it down some before getting to full RPM's

/ John Deere 425 power question #8  
I think it puts a load on the engine in this condition.You can replace it with a 455.