Sickle Bar John Deere 350 Sickle Bar Mower - How can you mow vertically + a few other questions

/ John Deere 350 Sickle Bar Mower - How can you mow vertically + a few other questions #1  

guysnydr

Hi all, I purchased a JD 350 sickle bar mower the other day and have a few questions.

First, I would really like to use this to get rid of some brush that is growing out into our camp roads. In doing so, it would need to mow upright, or vertical. I can see that I would have to come up with some sort of support to hold the bar in place at the angle I would need. Has anyone done this and could you share how you have done it? Pics would be really great! Also, to mow with the bar upright is there anything that would need to be set or adjusted, or is it really just a matter of figuring out a way to hold the bar up?

Second, while the mower seems to be in very nice, I can see that there is a fair amount of end play through the housing that the PTO drive shaft runs through to the drive pulley. I would say there is a good 1/8 to 1/4" play there so I know I need to correct that issue. Has anyone dealt with this issue before and is there an easy fix or adjustment for this?

The only other thing I see that needs done is there is a little play in the pin that connects the wobble box to the cutting bar. I will try and re-torque that and replace if necessary. I think I read somewhere that thing takes 150 ftlbs?

I have a manual on order for it and a parts book so hopefully can get what I need ordered and get this thing mowing soon.

Some of you may laugh at this a little, but I intend to use it on a JD 855 compact diesel. It attaches up and runs fine (have already hooked it up), however, that 3rd arm/lift arm thing that attaches to the drawbar and rises and lowers the bar when you raise the 3 point may take some creativity to get attached as it does not line up to the drawbar at all, and my drawbar doesn't slide to left or right. from what I read it looks like the mower is already set up in "narrow" mode as the lift bar is mounted to the left as you face the tractor. There is a chain coming off the lift arm with a triangular shaped bracket that has a pin at the bottom. I assume that pin is suppose to go into the drawbar hole. I have to look that part over in some more detail to see how I can get it hooked up.

Think that's it. If anyone can answer, or help with some, or all of these questions it would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks!

Guy

/ John Deere 350 Sickle Bar Mower - How can you mow vertically + a few other questions #2  
i have the same mower and made brace out of scrap metal and attached at bottom going at a angle to two holes in bar where you can place bolt thru from your homemade brace with wingnut on it, you will have choice of two upright angle to choose from. Sorry no pictures at this time.

/ John Deere 350 Sickle Bar Mower - How can you mow vertically + a few other questions
i have the same mower and made brace out of scrap metal and attached at bottom going at a angle to two holes in bar where you can place bolt thru from your homemade brace with wingnut on it, you will have choice of two upright angle to choose from. Sorry no pictures at this time.

Thank you! Did you attach the brace to the side of the 3 point frame or somewhere else? Did you have to make any other adjustments to mow vertical or just raise the bar up and run it?

/ John Deere 350 Sickle Bar Mower - How can you mow vertically + a few other questions #4  
One way of attaching to the drawbar: JD350 MOWER.jpg