JOHN DEERE 301A CLUTCH

/ JOHN DEERE 301A CLUTCH #1  

dlstone10

Tractor
john deere 301A
Bought a 301A over a year ago that had been setting along time turns out all I needed to get it started was a new fuel transfer pump and rebuild the starter ….... everything seemed to work well except the rear lift arms wouldn't hold a middle position no biggie ran for a bit but I noticed was gaining motor oil so I shut it down . Set for 6 months just had the injector pump done......runs great but now the clutch won't disengage ….... any thoughts I have very little experience with Deeres always had ford small tractors

Last edited:
   / JOHN DEERE 301A CLUTCH #2  
Sounds like the clutch disc may be stuck to the flywheel from setting. If it's in a place where you can start the tractor in gear, If I remember right from one I mowed with at work, you have 3 forward gears and a high & low. Put it in what I would call 4th gear and drive it while pushing the clutch pedal down and riding the brakes at the same time. Maybe stab the brakes to shock the drive train if it doesn't want to release, just riding the brakes.

Some may suggest after getting it broke loose to block the clutch pedal down to keep it from sticking again if it sets for long periods of time. Personally, I think just using it often is the answer. I've owed 20+ tractors for 40 years and have never had one stuck and some set for a few years as they are collectables and don't get ran all that often. So not sure why some do, and some don't. Maybe the amount of humidity in the air has something to do with it causing the flywheel surface to rust causing them to stick.

Don't know if they were all that way, but the one's we had, had a 2 stage clutch where the PTO would turn before ground movement so make sure pedal is depressed enough to release the second stage. The one's we had were equipped with a 5' side mount sickle bar mower for mowing roadsides although ours were gassers. Sweet little tractors, the only problem I can think of was you had to be pretty gentle engaging the PTO using the short lever on the right I believe, too hard on the lever and it would shear a roll pin on the inside, and it would need to be split to fix it. Never happened to me but did to others and one's that didn't like to mow would shear it to get out of mowing. Just a little FYI for you if you didn't know.

/ JOHN DEERE 301A CLUTCH
Thanks I was thinking along those lines .......I'm hoping it will be that simple ..... I'm going to drain the trans its a bit low any tricks to the filter

/ JOHN DEERE 301A CLUTCH #4  
If engine oil level is rising then either new fuel transfer pump is faulty or inj pump driveshaft seal has failed. Are you 100% sure your tractor is a 301A & not a model 300 with open center power steering pump mounted on RH front of engine? If you drain oil be sure to check suction screen for foreign material. Sometimes when clutch pedal is tied down & after engine operates to attain operating temp a stuck clutch plate will become free.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-25 090746.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-25 090746.png
    139 KB · Views: 20