John Deere 2210 - will it run a 5' brush hog safely?

/ John Deere 2210 - will it run a 5' brush hog safely? #1  

Roadworthy

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501 HST,
The rule of thumb is five horsepower per foot of rotary mower. With a 23 HP engine and 17.7 PTO hp I don't believe I'd go over four feet with that tractor. The tractor is also a bit light for the five foot mower. With a 700 pound three point lift capacity you should be able to handle it but a tractor weight of 1400 pounds you'd likely end up with a "tail wagging the dog" type situation.
TractorData.com John Deere 221 tractor information

/ John Deere 2210 - will it run a 5' brush hog safely? #2  
There's no way it'll pick it up. Doubtful it'll run it in anything but thin growth.

2210s have a reputation for a weak rear PTO. Failure usually breaks the housing.

Mine has a soft life. Hardest thing it's ran on the rear PTO is a 3pt grass seeder.

/ John Deere 2210 - will it run a 5' brush hog safely? #3  
I've had it for a number of years, but I've never run anything off of the rear PTO. I've always used the Cockshutt 540 or the Ford 8N for rear implements. But for the new YouTube channel, I thought maybe the 2210 would do it. I'll avoid it though. I try not to stress the JD out. :)
I'll keep using the super-reliable 8N.

/ John Deere 2210 - will it run a 5' brush hog safely? #4  
Several members here have 2210s and use the rear PTO to run tillers, etc. As I said, mine's never been tested.