John Deere 214

/ John Deere 214 #1  

Ledgemere Farm

Veteran Member
Tractor
A bunch
I know where I can get a 1975 (ish) 214 with a 46" mower, tiller, 37A tiller and cab for $600. Everything works and runs. Machine has been maintained, but needs a little cosmetics and some minor tinkering. The cab needs one new window and the blower needs a new sprocket among other things.

I don't know anything about these older machines. Is there anything quirky about them? I know the guy who is selling it and I think $600 is more than fair. I feel confident in making the repairs myself. I priced out a new cab for my GT 225 at over $600.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

/ John Deere 214 #2  
They are good solidly made machines, not as popular as the 300 series tractors(hydrostatics)
But for many people they worked very well. With the attachments you mentioned, it should be well worth it, especially if it runs decent. I think that has the kohler engine in it, which has been a good runner for alot of years. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the implements will fit the hydros too, so there would be a good market for them if you choose to resell them. They are made far better than the lighter series of tractors available now. If you are handy at going through and tinkering whatever needs repair, it should provide good service for you.

/ John Deere 214
Thanks. I think I am going to get it. I am not afraid of getting my hands dirty. :)

/ John Deere 214 #4  
The only quirky thing about them is the belt drive system. It uses a variable sheave that allows you to change speeds within each gear while keeping the engine running at full power. Sort of a "poor man's" hydro. The variable sheave can get stuck sometimes and does need a little maintenance from time to time. Changing the belts is not fun, but doable by the average guy. The tiller, blower and cab are worth the asking price, so you are basically getting the tractor for free.

/ John Deere 214
That's what I figured. I priced out a new cab for my 32 @ $650.00. That's w/o a real windshield or wiper. the 214 has both.