John Deere 2040 with Open Center valve on FEL

/ John Deere 2040 with Open Center valve on FEL #1  

Jimmy_G

Tractor
John Deere 2040
So, I’m kind of a newbie here. I recently purchased an older John Deere 2040 with what I’m being told is closed center hydraulics on it. The tractor has a “newer“ John Deere 521 front end loader on it that has a valve for open center hydraulics on it. According to the guy that has looked at it for me, this means that for my three point lift to work, I have to mess with the controls for the front end loader which will allow pressure to get back to the three-point lift.

my question is this, am I destined to need to grow a third arm to be able to operate my tractor or is there a better solution out there? Google tells me that there are some certain valves that can be converted from open to closed center hydraulics, but I’m not sure about the valve on this particular front and loader. I should be picking the tractor up tomorrow from having some additional servicing done and getting this much checked out on it and can post pictures then.

Last thing, they also removed the rear hydraulic remote that was mounted on the tractor, not sure that I would ever need it, but wanted to get opinions. I only have about 8 acres to keep up and really will only need to do some light grading and brush hogging once I get it where I want it to be.

/ John Deere 2040 with Open Center valve on FEL #2  
2040 with open-center hyds ceased at SN 266,749
The above quote came from this thread:

So I guess you could check your serial number to verify closed or open hydraulic system. I don't understand, if your tractor is closed center, why it would have an open center valve on the loader.
Also don't understand why they would remove the rear remote.

Some open center valves can be converted to closed center with a plug. That plug would go into the port that is normally used for a power beyond plug/fitting in an open center system.

/ John Deere 2040 with Open Center valve on FEL #3  
I have the competitive twin to your tractor, in red paint, same horsepower, same weight,, etc,,

I have had the tractor 30 years, and have never plugged anything in the rear remotes.

LseT2NJ.jpg

Using an open center valve on a closed center hydraulic system wastes fuel,
and puts excess wear on a VERY expensive hydraulic pump.

Even if you have to buy a valve, get a closed center valve,,,
or,,
grow a third arm, and prepare the checkbook for a couple thousand dollar hit for that pump.

/ John Deere 2040 with Open Center valve on FEL #4  
I agree with npalen in that knowing serial of JD 2040 with 3 cylinder engine is very important when it comes to hyd system. 3 cyl 2040's up to serial # 266,749 had OPEN-CENTER hyd's & after 266,750 had CLOSED-CENTER hyd's. Only reason I can think of for dealer to remove SCV is to sell the scv kit for more $$$$$. Post your tractors serial # & I'll help you diagnose/repair your tractors hyd problem. I would tell dealership to reinstall SCV or give it to you so you could sell the $750-$1000 kit if you don't want kit on tractor.

/ John Deere 2040 with Open Center valve on FEL #5  
I would tell the seller to put the correct loader valve on the tractor before I would buy. I would also want the rear SCV. Many uses for 1, 2, 3, even 4 rear SCVs.

/ John Deere 2040 with Open Center valve on FEL #6  
So I'm trying to visualize what the "third arm" is doing with the loader valve in order to send pressure to let the 3PH operate. Seems that, for example, completely retracting the bucket cylinders and holding the valve in that position would do the trick? Also seems that bandaid would work with a closed center system with a misapplied open center valve or an open center system with and open center valve with no power beyond to the 3PH?

/ John Deere 2040 with Open Center valve on FEL #7  
Get ahold of your deere dealer. First find out if your tractor IS indeed closed center. If it is see if the valve you have on that loader can simply be converted with a CC plug. If it cant (sometimes they use a different valve all together), then you need to look for a CC valve.

/ John Deere 2040 with Open Center valve on FEL #8  
Also seems that bandaid would work with a closed center system with a misapplied open center valve or an open center system with and open center valve with no power beyond to the 3PH?
Open center valve utilized on a closed-center hyd system is a big no-no because that has a very similar affect as an internal leak which causes high pressure CC pump to be depleted of oil & cavitate IE stop having oil available for pump to pump. The reason CC pump will pump when open center control valve lever is moved to a fully engaged position is the flow though OC valve is blocked allowing CC pump to have oil available to create pressure. Closed center valve on open center valve would cause hyd system relief valve to be unseated 100% of the time engine was operating or possibly damage pump

/ John Deere 2040 with Open Center valve on FEL #9  
Open center valve utilized on a closed-center hyd system is a big no-no because that has a very similar affect as an internal leak which causes high pressure CC pump to be depleted of oil & cavitate IE stop having oil available for pump to pump. The reason CC pump will pump when open center control valve lever is moved to a fully engaged position is the flow though OC valve is blocked allowing CC pump to have oil available to create pressure. Closed center valve on open center valve would cause hyd system relief valve to be unseated 100% of the time engine was operating or possibly damage pump
Open center valve utilized on a closed-center hyd system is a big no-no because that has a very similar affect as an internal leak which causes high pressure CC pump to be depleted of oil & cavitate IE stop having oil available for pump to pump.

I'm not understanding this as it sounds like you're describing a leak in the suction line not allowing sufficient fluid into the pump causing cavitation. That would be true with either type of valve, no? (I may be misinterpreting.)

/ John Deere 2040 with Open Center valve on FEL #10  
Not a leak in CC suction but similar to large leak of internal high pressure oil causing main CC hyd pump to exceed it's oil supply furnished by trans pump.

Open center valve attached to closed center allows hyd oil to flow continuously which defeats the designed operation of closed center hyd system which is to build system pressure then main hyd shaft keeps turning but pump stops pumping until a hyd function is utilized then main hyd pump begins pumping again.

Normal closed center control valve stops hyd oil travel at valve until control valve is activated. That's one of the reasons a closed center control valve can attached by Teeing into hyd system but one can't successfully tee a control valve into open center system. Open center valve must be attached to hyd system in series not parallel.