John Deere 111

/ John Deere 111 #1  

6thgpSF

Gold Member
Tractor
YM1610d bobcat 863 Gh 928d
Hoping someone can help me on this,I got ahold of two JD111 ,one runs but the old B.S. on it is about shot.I 'd like to put a new engine in it but understand B.S. doesn't make the non ohv any more and the new ohv won't fit[?] does anyone know what engine I could get that would fit right up?thanks,russ

/ John Deere 111 #2  
I have a JD 111 that I did the engine change to a few years back. It is at our porperty in the next state. I can try to check engine details next time I am up there.
The conversion was relativly simple, except the charging circuit was not straightforward, and not yet working.

/ John Deere 111 #3  
I rescused a 111 at a yard sale last summer. After overhauling it last winter we named it "The Phoenix" because it returned from the ashes. The engine on mine is a L-head Briggs. If you can't find a NOS replacement you may be able to find a rebuildable I/C version of the same dimensions.

For the charging circuit it uses a winding under the flywheel with one end grounded to the frame. That feeds a diode near the starter solinoid. The output of the diode is pulsating DC that is smoothed by the battery. If you new engine has two wires coming from under the flywheel you should be able to ground one wire and use the other to feed the diode and electrical system.

Good luck, Alan