John Deer Tractor motor Salvage Question.

/ John Deer Tractor motor Salvage Question. #1  

blakester

Silver Member
Hello Everyone, another project has come up. And I think it's probably a relatively simple solution, but my knowledge isn't quite there to get it going. I have attached 3 images to my post for visuals. The short story is this, I have an old John Deere lawn tractor that isn't worth it's salt. Seized mover deck, busted rear axle ext... However, the motor is still good. I pulled it out, changed the fluids, filters, fuel, plug and fired it up today. It runs well. Burns clean, backfires a touch now and then but not bad. The kicker is this. If I disconnect the battery it won't run anymore. Now I had to disconnect all the wiring when I pulled it out so what I'm left with is, Coil, starter, and a couple of wires that I'm not sure what they are for. The interesting part is that when It's running, and you strike them together, they spark, but when I hook up my voltmeter, they do not produce any meaningful results. some blips but thats a bout it. I have it set to DC V20. They are the two wires on the LEFT in the image with the starter. The one on the right is the wire going to the coil +. My assumption was that the engine has a generator built in there somewhere and that those other two wires are part of a circuit that comes back to the coil, but when i connect either one to the = going to the coil, it seems to produce no results, and the motor will die when I disconnect the battery. So, I'm wondering if any of you might know what the issue is. Also, I can't track down where those wires go, they just disappear into the engine somewhere. Thanks in advance.

image1.jpegimage2.jpegimage3.jpeg

/ John Deer Tractor motor Salvage Question. #2  
JD.jpgJD2.jpg
Those 2 wires come from the stator(Generator) that is under the flywheel.They put out AC ,not DC
You have to connect them to one of these Rectifier/Regulators to get DC to charge the battery,and you have to have a battery connected to power the coil.

/ John Deer Tractor motor Salvage Question.
I see, I know exactly where that baby is. Thank you sir for the help.