Job Site Generators

/ Job Site Generators #1  

JDGREEN4ME

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520, John Deere X534, GT 225, GT 275
Looking to get a generator big enough to run power tools etc. at a remote location...BUT small enough that I could put it in the back of the truck myself. Looking at Hondas right now in the 3500 watt size range. Also I have noticed some are AC only and some are AC/DC is there any advantage to this?

/ Job Site Generators #2  
Maybe, the DC output is useful to jumpstart a vehicle or power 12volt accessories.

Jerry

/ Job Site Generators #3  
The hondas are quiter but a lot more expensive than the Generac. A lot is made about the Honda Vs BS engine Although most of the 10 Hp or larger Generacs have premium Briggs engines so they are very comporable. I am currently looking at log splitters and a honda home owners engine which is no better than a standard briggs is $100 more with the commercial honda engine a $300 option. I would think for your use a auto idle switch would be usefull if you will have periods where there is no load on the generator but the engine is stll running. Dave

/ Job Site Generators #4  
   / Job Site Generators #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( some are AC only and some are AC/DC is there any advantage to this? )</font>

I have a Mikita 6500R. It has DC outputs. I can use it to charge my lawn tractor battery but it is not strong enough to outright jumpstart the lawn tractor.

The DC terminals are screw connectors - not really convenient. Have only ever used them for the tractor battery.

Phil

/ Job Site Generators #7  
Just power tools? What kind of amp draw? I've a compressor system that says it takes 15 amps (but uses more like 18-20), but most stuff like saws, drills and the like have modest requirements. I've had a Honda branded 3500 generator for about 4 years. It fits nicely into a compact pickup, and has wheels for easy moving. Works fine, and the idle switch keeps gas consumption and noise down. You may be able to get by with 2500W - depends on what you need.
As to DC current - OK, but you can use a battery charger between your AC generator and DC recipient to convert AC to DC if you really need it. I had a Coleman generator with AC and DC outs, but the DC was only useful for 2 amp charging of batteries or similar - forget about starting a tractor.

/ Job Site Generators #8  
Has any one seen the Honda unit that is a generator and a welder ! Dave

/ Job Site Generators #9  
Bill ,
First off , I don't know much about Generac ,Honda ,etc ....
I do know that we've had a Winco 3.5 genset for a lot of years . ( it's Honda powered ) . It doesn't see a lot of TLC . Get's abused a lot .( basically ..Does it have oil and gas ) Yet, it always starts and provides power for all our needs .
Having said that, when I buy my standby gen set for the house it'll be a WINCO . As far as I can see it's bullet proof .
The only down side is that they aren't inexpensive to buy initially . John

/ Job Site Generators #10  
If you are going to be around it much while it's running I would get the Honda. That thing is so quiet you won't believe it. I've the EU3000i for my horse trailer and it's great. We've used it on job sites as well and it's done a good job. It has an economy mode and a protection system as well. If you don run the power down it will shut off before it delivers less than the desirable wattage. This is nice because it won't allow you to ruin your equipment from getting too low of voltage.