Jinma 284 Donaldson air cleaner upgrade question.

/ Jinma 284 Donaldson air cleaner upgrade question. #1  

fidowanttobe

Platinum Member
Tractor
Jinma 284 2007 Massey Harris 44 Special
Would like to upgrade the air filter box to a Donaldson for quality issues.
Went to their site, confused. :oops:
Has anyone done this and is happy with their selection or can point me to the correct one that takes a common-ish filter?
Thanks.

/ Jinma 284 Donaldson air cleaner upgrade question. #2  
Not a Jinma, but I did away with the absolutely stupid location that Yuchai had and installed a Donaldson assembly.
Are you looking for a complete assembly that uses a safety element too, or do you just want to use a Donaldson element in your existing housing?

New mount.JPG

/ Jinma 284 Donaldson air cleaner upgrade question. #3  
Donaldson P148969 fits my factory 2006 Jinma 284 filter canister perfectly.
Also WIX 42276

Attachments

• 100_0269 (2019_02_19 01_42_27 UTC).JPG
    100_0269 (2019_02_19 01_42_27 UTC).JPG
    1,008 KB · Views: 90
   / Jinma 284 Donaldson air cleaner upgrade question.
Yes, I am looking for the canister replacement. Years ago I fabbed a bracket and cut the hose so that it mounted under the hood above the fuel filter instead of blocking the radiator. Now I want to change out the canister to a better quality but don't know what size Donaldson suggests.

Last edited:
   / Jinma 284 Donaldson air cleaner upgrade question. #5  
For what it is worth: After 15 years and 860 hours I have never had an overheat that was caused by the air cleaner in front of the radiator and the canister has never collected enough dust to come out the squeeze vent at the bottom of the canister. I have only had to replace the filter a couple of times. This summer I was mowing a large area full of weeds and every hour or so I would have to clean the screen in front of the radiator as it plugged up.
The screen protected the radiator just as it should and at the end of the day I figured the air filter must be about plugged too, but to my surprise there was none of the debris like the radiator had in it, only dust on the outside and the inside was perfectly clean.
In my estimation everything was working as it should and apparently the air intake for the canister is in a fairly "clean air" location.

YMMV...

/ Jinma 284 Donaldson air cleaner upgrade question. #6  
I need more information.
What is the ID of the connecting hose?
Do you want the filter outlet on the side or end?
Do you want the filter inlet on the side or end?

Surplus Center has a few that will work if the sizes meet your requirements:

/ Jinma 284 Donaldson air cleaner upgrade question. #7  
If my math is correct the 284 Y385 engine is about 2.5L.
At 2800 RPM it would be sucking in about 125 cubic feet of air per minute, give or take a little.