JIF Peanut Butter Recall,, Have You Tried To DECIFER The Lot Numbers??

/ JIF Peanut Butter Recall,, Have You Tried To DECIFER The Lot Numbers?? #11  
Since we live near Lynchburg VA, we hear news from that town.
There was a guy that made, and sold peanut butter from Lynchburg,,

He ended up shipping some with salmonella,, AND THEY PROSECUTED HIM,, AND PUT HIM IN JAIL!!

He was selling containers like 5 gallon size, for institutional use,, not little jars,,

Somebody from JIF should go to jail,, this is no different than the Lynchburg guy,,,

(The Lynchburg salmonella came from a leaking roof,, IIRC,,)

I found the article,,28 years in jail,, for salmonella peanut butter,,

I remember when that happened, and I think he got off lightly, and thoroughly deserved every bit of punishment he got. The plant was filthy with rain water leaking through the ceiling into the mixers. It was a disaster.

Read more here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut_Corporation_of_America

What the stories didn't get into to was the likelihood the peanut butter contained high levels of aflatoxin as well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aflatoxin

Yes, toss your JIF. Salmonella and aflatoxin isn't worth it.

All the best,

Peter

/ JIF Peanut Butter Recall,, Have You Tried To DECIFER The Lot Numbers?? #12  
CBS news says that several candy makers have been added to the recall because their products were made with JIF peanut butter.

/ JIF Peanut Butter Recall,, Have You Tried To DECIFER The Lot Numbers?? #13  
At least Jif buys peanuts in the US.
Skippy recall (not so yummy metal), found out their peanut butter is made in China and US.

I think our food chain is so messed up, no one knows where things are made and how.

Our Jif is done. I won't eat any pb with added ingredients, but the kid likes Jif.

/ JIF Peanut Butter Recall,, Have You Tried To DECIFER The Lot Numbers?? #14  
If you can buy peanut butter made exclusively from Southwestern (I.e. Arizona) peanuts, the risk of aflatoxin is lower. Otherwise, I would suggest buying from a reputable, but not low cost producer.

Salmonella risk is almost entirely the result process failures; lack of sanitary processes, lack of adequate testing and retesting of cleaning, and lack of a good plant design. Well designed plants have clear storage, "raw", process and finished goods areas, with barriers to prevent humans, air, water, and (gasp!) vermin from moving from one area to another. Everything about the plant should be in well maintained condition, from the floor to the paint on the walls and ceilings. There should be a clear area around the entire plant free of vegetation.

Modern plants aren't the plants of yore for good reasons.

All the best,

Peter

/ JIF Peanut Butter Recall,, Have You Tried To DECIFER The Lot Numbers?? #15  
Makes sense but I never became sick from eating foods from yore.

/ JIF Peanut Butter Recall,, Have You Tried To DECIFER The Lot Numbers?? #16  
At least Jif buys peanuts in the US.
Skippy recall (not so yummy metal), found out their peanut butter is made in China and US.

I think our food chain is so messed up, no one knows where things are made and how.

Our Jif is done. I won't eat any pb with added ingredients, but the kid likes Jif.
I pass a peanut butter plant on my way to work every morning. It's just up the road from work. For about the first month, I was hungrier then the dickens smelling the peanuts roasting.

Now, I really can't stand the smell. Not sure which brand they produce for. One if these days, I'll drive by and check the sign.

/ JIF Peanut Butter Recall,, Have You Tried To DECIFER The Lot Numbers?? #17  
I don't eat Jif.

/ JIF Peanut Butter Recall,, Have You Tried To DECIFER The Lot Numbers??
I don't eat Jif.

I agree with beckmurph,, WHO could pass up JIF??
Heck, JIF must be 30% sugar,,,
I had never tried JIF before I met my soon to be wife,, She loved JIF.
When I first tried it, I was turned off by the super-sugary taste!!
BUT, like my wife, both the JIF and her grew on me,, now I love both.

I think as a kid, my mother bought Skippy,, way less sugar, IMHO,,

/ JIF Peanut Butter Recall,, Have You Tried To DECIFER The Lot Numbers?? #20  
Hey - you are probably correct( heathen). And I appreciate your compliment. I DO eat PB - I like a different brand better. I think JIF is just a tad too sweet. I'm already sweet enough - don't need more by eating JIF.

Anyhow - glad I don't have to decipher any product codes. I get that often enough on recalled meds.

Last edited: