Jeep question

/ Jeep question #1  

wmonroe

Elite Member
Tractor
1958 Ford 961 Powermaster
I have a Jeep Wrangler that I bought wrecked and fixed it up to use as a general run around, off road, hunting vehicle. I have been running it for about a month now and it runs great and has reliable except for one issue. If I don't drive it for three days the battery will be to low to start the engine, after two days it is ok. The battery is new and not the issue as I have narrowed it down to the "ext. lighting" circuit. I can pull the fuse for that circuit and the battery doesn't drain down at all even if left sitting for well over two weeks. So I have an issue somewhere in the wiring for the parking lights and turn signals, I checked and those are all that doesn't work when the fuse is pulled. What is the best way to go about troubleshooting a wiring issue like this? I am fairly mechanically inclined and have done many engine repairs, clutch swaps, etc, but have never hunted down an electrical issue in a vehicle before. Any help that can be offered is appreciated.
Thanks

/ Jeep question
Forgot to add the required picture.

DSC02010.jpg

/ Jeep question #3  
I have a 2000 Wrangler and had a 2000 Cherokee. That being said, on both Jeeps I had to replace the combo switch that controled the turn signals/flashers/high beam. The contacts in those switches seem to be junk. It could be a short in that switch. On mine the left flasher would not turn off on the Cherokee and the Wrangler one the right stop lamp would not work. I found a replacement at Advanced Auto for $41 and I saw that Autozone had one for a similar price. Oh yeah, pics of said Jeeps!
DSC00660.jpg

167_18490_100_1719.jpg

/ Jeep question #4  
Man, those Jeeps look fun. I am thinking about selling one of my Pickups and this may just be the answer for some fun.

Anyway, to check for voltage draw disconnect the negative terminal from the battery. Place you multimeter on amps in between the negative terminal and the battery cable. You will see a draw. Lets say its 2 amps for argument sake. Now pull one fuse at a time and see which circuit removes the draw.

Like others said switches are the most common problem. I run into this all the time dealing with boats. The switches take a beating in the marine environment. With that being said since the Jeep was wrecked make sure you look over the suspect circuits wiring harness for evidence of damage that could leak voltage. Also have the alternator checked out, this is a common area to leak voltage.

Chris

/ Jeep question #5  
check the door switches for the dome lights. They are funky because the jeeps were designed with the idea that you run with the doors off.... if the doors are off then your dome light would be on all the time so they made a disable thingie for it...

in short check the dome light funkyness controls/circuits

/ Jeep question #6  
check the door switches for the dome lights. They are funky because the jeeps were designed with the idea that you run with the doors off.... if the doors are off then your dome light would be on all the time so they made a disable thingie for it...

in short check the dome light funkyness controls/circuits

On the fuse block pull the pasenger side bottom fuse out and ths will disable the dome light and key chime. Fuse block is behind the glove compartment. 10 amp fuse.

/ Jeep question #8  
From my experience with my wife's wranglers She had 2 with the same problem it is the under hood light.
It took me a while to figure it out unplug it and see if it cuts the drain.

I caught it at night one time and thought seh got some sort of mood lights because there was a glow under it and it was the hood light.

check the glove box light too and other culprit on a friends car.

tom

/ Jeep question #9  
I think the fellows are leading you in the right direction. I can't add any help here.

I don't have any working lights on my jeep we use around the farm.

Attachments

• jeep.bmp
    22 KB · Views: 97
  • untitled.bmp
    22 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCN0092.jpg
    DSCN0092.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 133
   / Jeep question #10